Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Basic functions and Internet issues after virus removal

• Please log in to reply

a_to_z

a_to_z

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Any help with this would be very much appreciated!!!

Back in March I got a rogue virus on my laptop. It was successfully removed, but the programs on my personal user account (administrator account works perfectly fine) still have some issues. If I try to open a program by double-clicking on its icon, a screen appears asking to choose a program from a list to open it with. If I instead right-click on the icon and select start, it opens just fine (but is very tedious to have to do so every time). Also, some of the basic functions on my account don't work (I don't get certain popups up when I should, the scroll bar on my mousepad no longer works, programs set to start on startup have to be manually started, etc). Lastly, after getting and removing another rogue virus a few weeks ago, the internet on my personal user account stopped working, only displaying a 'the webpage cannot be displayed' page even though my network connections show I am connected to the internet. I can, however, still access the internet on my administrator account.

I first posted my issues in the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, and received help, but after running numerous cleanup programs, my computer is still the exact same (albeit cleaner). It was suggested that maybe I have a problem with the permission settings on my computer, but I have not altered the permissions in anyway since the original setup, and I have no issues with UAC or anything. My guess is for some type of file association issue, but I'm not very tech-smart. My computer ran perfectly fine before the first virus several months ago, and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me get it back that way.

My laptop computer is a HP Touchsmart PC with Windows Vista Home Premium (x64), AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75.

Advertisements

Pcs365

Pcs365

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Login to your computer using "user" credentials, and check the status of Internet connection. you can find the Local area connection either on the quick launch bar towards your right hand bottom corner or in the control panel. If the status says connected Then it should be fine or If its otherwise, Please keep us posted.

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
My network connections say I am connected to the internet perfectly fine; there appears to be nothing wrong. When I try to access the iTunes store in iTunes, it says my network connection has timed out but I have no idea how to go about correcting that (I don't know if that helps or not, but I figured I may as well mention it).

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
From my original post:

the internet on my personal user account stopped working, only displaying a 'the webpage cannot be displayed' page even though my network connections show I am connected to the internet. I can, however, still access the internet on my administrator account.

a_to_z

a_to_z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I'm bumping this topic since the only reply was completely useless. Can anyone else help me out? :)