Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand new laptop randomly freezes....

• Please log in to reply

Richiiee

Richiiee

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
HP G62
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i5 2.27GHz
4GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

I just bought this laptop 5 days ago and it randomly freezes every now and then... since 3 or 4 days ago it has frozen 3 or 4 times for no reason. It's not like I was pushing the limits of my resources, sometimes it just freezes when I'm using Google Chrome, Windows Live Messenger and Skype, which should be no problem for this thing. The speed itself is great, no problems there, it's just that out of no where the cursor will freeze, nothing will work (tried Ctrl Alt Del), tried pressing the power button to put it to sleep and nothing happens. The only way is to hold the power button and force a shut down. I can't take it back because it has no warranty... Does anyone know what could be going on?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
5 days old and freezing... have it looked at under warranty. There is obviously something not right and you might as well have it repaired at no cost then have it completely go down in a couple of months.

Richiiee

Richiiee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Like I said I don't have a warranty.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... it randomly freezes every now and then... Does anyone know what could be going on?

"Freezing" can be caused by filthy/flaky/failing hardware, hardware/driver conflicts and/or corrupt software.

Have you tried a System Restore?
  • Insert the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, and then restart the computer.

• When you receive the following message, press any key:

Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.

• Set the following preferences, and then click Next
    • Language to install
    • Time and currency format
    • Keyboard or input method
  • Click Repair your computer, select the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

• Click System Restore, and then click Next.

• Click the restore point that you want to use, and then click Next.

Note - Click a restore point that will return the computer to a state where the logon is successful. After you use the System Restore feature, reinstall any programs or updates that may be removed. You will not lose any personal documents. However, you may have to reinstall programs. You may also have to reset some personal settings.

• Confirm the disks that you want to restore, and then click Next.

• Click Finish, and then click Yes when you are prompted.

• When the System Restore process is complete, click Restart to restart the computer.

• After the computer restarts, click Close to confirm that the System Restore process has finished successfully.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I take it then the system was bought used since there is no warranty?
If you have no OS disk then you will have to purchase one or borrow one but it has to be the same as what you have ...Home, Media or Pro version.