Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Suddenly and unbearably slow Dell XP computer.

• Please log in to reply

Ericpw

Ericpw

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I currently own a Dell Dimension 4600 computer running on Windows XP. It's from 1999-2002 (not really sure.), and it's our family's second computer.

For years, it was a pretty reliable computer, that could really just do the job. It was slow at times, but just "annoyingly" slow. By this, I mean that it would get the occaisonal lag or slowdown, but it would quickly return to normal speed.

Starting about a year ago, we began to experience some memory problems, but NOT speed problems. Our hard drive space hovered from anywhere between 10MB and 100MB. I decided to take action and deleted over 8GB of old, useless files that hadn't been used in many years.

It started out running the same speed as before, but with plenty more hard drive space. We experienced more problems, like system crashes and blue screens of death, and ended up bringing the computer to a shop. They did an excellent job, and prolonged the systems life.

Currently, after deteriorating for several months, the computer has problems running simple tasks. From startup to reaching our home page, it takes 15 minutes. Depending on the webpage, it takes a minute to load the background, a minute to load the text, and another minute to load the graphics. About 40% of the time, the page doesn't even load correctly, and I'm left with a graphics-less page of text that is mis-formatted. Many times, the computer disconnects from the Internet, and other times, randomly, an "Internet Explorer can not display the page." screen comes up. On Refresh, the page is displayed after the 3-5 minute wait.

The computer is pretty heavily used between 3 FaceBook users, applications like ooVoo and Skype, browser games, 4 e-mail accounts, and more.

What baffles me however is how it could change from running beautifully to this horrible state. Here are the specs, that seem completely able to perform to much higher capabilities.

2.79GHz
768MB of RAM
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Hard Drive - Capacity of 37.2GB, Used space of 28.1GB, and 9.09GB

I currently have Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, I use Defraggler often, and I use TreeSize frequently to cut down on large programs.

Help please.

Anything you need me to do, I'll be happy to. Name applications to use, things to check, etc.

Thank you so much.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Ericpw

Ericpw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for making this a pseudo-dummy's guide. Very easy to understand.

AutoRuns.txt is attached.

Report.txt (Everest Report) is attached.

Temps and volts.png is attached.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Temps_and_volts.PNG

Attached Files

Edited by Ericpw, 16 June 2010 - 08:50 PM.

Ericpw

Ericpw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ignore post.

Edited by Ericpw, 16 June 2010 - 09:20 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please edit your last post and take out the log as we don't use those here in this forum. If when we are done the issue still seems to be a infection I will give you instructions on that.
Ok due to this line here in your autoruns:

+ "LimeWire On Startup.lnk" "LimeWire" "Lime Wire, LLC" "c:\program files\limewire\limewire.exe"

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 June 2010 - 09:17 PM.