Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying iPhone 4?

• Please log in to reply

onedoller

onedoller

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello, I was not sure which topic to post this under, but I figured some of you may have helpful advice on this topic. As I'm sure you all know the iPhone 4 will be selling at the price of 199 with a two year agreement. I am still a student and my father has generously offered to buy me a new iPhone; however, if I pre-order and go pick it up at the apple store and want to be added to my father's family share plan will I still receive the 199 price tag even though I am not going to sign a new two year agreement? I would be better of pre-ordering on at&t, but they have temporarily suspended the pre-ordering of iPhones.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you buy the phone and put it on dad's plan he has to agree to the two-year agreement. They don't make their money selling phones, it's the service agreements that go with them.
Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you would probably want to confirm with AT&T, but generally those offers are only good with a new 2 year plan (i.e. new customers that don't currently have a plan with AT&T) or when it's actually time for you to upgrade your phone. so if you're only 1 year in on your current phone, you'd have to pay very close to retail for the new phone

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If Dad makes the arrangements, it's probably going to be cheaper anyway. When I do anything with Verizon, they let me use whatever upgrades I have available on other phones for the numbers I actually have to do something about. We have 6 phones on our family plan, so I can usually get a new phone for free or whatever the lowest sale price is. The last time I bought my daughter a phone they looked at my account and offered to upgrade my air card for "free" (means agree to two more years of service) and I got a fancy USB stick from FedEx 2 days later. Tell dad what you want and give him the 800 number. If he talks to a human, he'll get the best deal.
Johanna

Elliott Matthew

Elliott Matthew

• Pip
  • 4 posts
There is an advantage of getting the iPhone 4 at Best Buy. You can get the 2 year replacement deal for $60. Well worth it now that the front and back are both glass. That’s where I’m getting mine.

rocksparow

rocksparow

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The iPhone 4 is a must buy phone which is built in advanced technologies. It features video calling with face time and it is situated between the two glossy panels of aluminosilicate. The retina display has pixel density of 326 pixels per inch. It has a beautiful stain less steel band.