Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting Playstation 3 to VGA monitor

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have been having a lot of trouble connecting my PS3 to my monitor. For the specifics on the monitor you can check out the specs here, but the basis is that is only has a VGA connection and there is no direct connection from the PS3 to a VGA display. What I have done so far is buy a couple converters and wires to go from HDMI to DVI-D and then to VGA. Unfortunately this does not work. Both the system and monitor acknowledge that something is connected but either the system cannot send the signal or the monitor cannot display the signal.

So now I'm back to the drawing board. I have found a converter that sounds like it is made specifically for this problem, HDFury, but I don't want to buy anything until I am 100% certain it will work. From what it sounds like, I will be able to connect a cord I already have that has HDMI on one end and DVI-D on the other, connect HDFury to that and then connect the VGA cable to that and the monitor and it will be a done deal. I realize this will not do audio for me but I have already solved that through the analog plugs.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Have you had a look at one of these;
http://www.mayflash....a001/vga001.htm

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Oh wow looks good, thanks man!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Best deal I could find is here http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item1c0dab55b1
If I find anything else of interest I will let you know.

A slightly less expensive way of hooking things up here http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item27b272a33f

EDIT: 2nd option added :)

Edited by phillpower2, 17 June 2010 - 01:35 PM.

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
That second one looks good, what does it connect to on the system? The composite cables?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Did you overlook this!

Separate signal input ports for Wii and PS3

One RGBHV signal output, 15 pin, can be connected to PC monitor or HDTV

Red and white stereo signal output with RCA ports

Green RCA port is a colorless video output port, which is used to adjust the output format of game consoles