Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MMC Policy Restriction Problem

• Please log in to reply

delysid

delysid

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello...

I am the Owner of my system, but after messing around with the wrong settings tweaker (my bad, completely--never again!) I appear to have messed up my MMC system completely.

I seem to have disabled my ability to turn services on or off. When I attempt to do so, I get a dialog that reads 'MMC cannot create the snap-in because of current user policies'. I am wondering if the program I used was deliberate malware since I'd not been trying to change policy when playing with it. (I know what 'user policy' is and a little about how it works, but have so far been unable to repair this problem. If it helps, it seems like all snap-ins are shut off this way, not just Services.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks in advance...

Edited by delysid, 16 June 2010 - 11:55 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

?

delysid

delysid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My System Restore hasn't been working in a while. That's another thing I'd like to fix. (I am hoping that I won't have to reinstall Windows - I really can't afford to do that right now.)

delysid

delysid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Can anyone help me with this? I really need to fix it.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Click Start > Run, type in:

cmd

and press [Enter]. At the cmd prompt, type:

sfc /scannow

and press [Enter].

SFC.exe (System File Checker) gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file is corrupt or has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder.

The /scannow parameter tells it to scan all protected system files and replace incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. This may require access to the Windows installation source files.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try sfc /scannow from the command line.

What did you use that screwed it up?

delysid

delysid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Try sfc /scannow from the command line.

Tried this and it did not work. Any more ideas? :)

What did you use that screwed it up?

I am not sure - I am looking for the program right now, to try and identify it, because I'd like to warn others about it. I know that I picked it up from Softpedia. If I find it, I'll come back here and post an addendum.

Thank you for your time. I feel so stupid about this. I usually don't get messed up with things like this, since I have fairly good firewalling and try to use the non-admin account when surfing...usually. :)

-Delysid