Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop scree in Blank

• Please log in to reply

harryhott

harryhott

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Dear Friends,

I am running Windows 7 Home premium on my Dell inspiron. Till afternoon everything is fine but when in the evening i swtiched on my laptop there was nothing visible on Desktop. But i was able to access the file through My Computer. Right Clicking on the Desktop also did not get any results. Even if paste anything on dektop the same is not visible. Can you people help me.

Harry

Advertisements

Pcs365

Pcs365

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
First please boot into Normal Mode, right click on blank area (if available), choose View --- Show desktop icons.

If we cannot do the right click, please start Task Manager, check if Explorer.exe is listed in Processes tab.

If not, click File --- New Task, input "explorer.exe" and click OK to see if this can bring the desktop back.

AFTER trying this and if you still see the desktop blank try the step's below.

1. Boot that bad boy in Safe Mode
2. Click on Run then Control Panel
3. Open System then click on Device Manager
4. Expand the Display Adapters Tree
5. Right click on the second “NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 (Microsoft Corporate – WDDM) entry and select Disable (click yes on the pop up)
6. Right click on the first “NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 (Microsoft Corporate – WDDM) entry and select Uninstall. Click on OK when asked.
7. Restart the Machine.
8. Let the PC boot normally (not in safe mode)
9. Windows will automatically install the default driver and re enable the second card. It’ll then ask to restart – DON’T – Click Restart Later, click on "Restart Now
10. Head on over to http://www.nvidia.com and download the Windows 7 Drivers for the 7 Series GPU (version 185.81 beta is the current version at time of writing clocking in at 97.9mB) – Save it to a location that you can access in safe mode (not network drives. Desktop is a nice easy place)
11. Now that you have downloaded you will need to reboot back into safe mode (the Nvidia drivers won’t install because there is a previous installation that requires a restart… Thanks to Windows.
12. Once rebooted, run the Nvidia installation.
If you check the Display Adapters in Device manager after the installation you will see that it’ll just list “NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2″
13. Reboot again (normal boot this time, not safe mode) and if all went well you should now have your Windows 7 Desktop all up and running pretty like.

I believe this is the best way of installing these drivers but I just know that it work's fine..

harryhott

harryhott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Dear Friend,

Thanks very much for yours help. Clicking the show desktop icons worked for me. However after 2 days the same option again got unchecked automatically and i just wonder that why it is happening automatically

Mr. Kiningham

Mr. Kiningham

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Had that same problem once. I was the victim of the old fashioned Practical Joke.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This could be a infection on your system. As a precaution to make sure I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here