Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware on computer? ... And can you really spy on a cell or landline?

• Please log in to reply

TiredOfThis

TiredOfThis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) Hi All,

Well, I made the mistake of dating a control freak who - unfortunately for me - is also an COMPUTER EXPERT. I should have never let him back into my life after finding out he put spyware on my DESKTOP computer last year (Spector Pro - though he would never confirm that's what it was and "claimed" he removed it). I never believed him, and from then on I would ONLY use my laptop (that he had not had his hands on in months prior to that). I did take the ADDED precaution of doing a complete system reboot on my LAPTOP (NOT my desktop as it had just too much on it I couldn't lose) but HOPEFULLY this reboot on my laptop obliterated anything that *may* have been on it. I don't think anything was on it, as I kept my laptop well hidden, but I did this anyway.

Now - that I finally came to my senses and got rid of this person - I still worry he could be spying. So ... my questions to you are ....

1) If he put another spyware on my DESKTOP computer can he somehow (say, via my modem or something else) be seeing what I'm doing on my LAPTOP???

2) I use Kaspersky as my virus/malware control - unfortunately, he is a Kasperksy expert, as this is what his company uses. So he could have modified Kaspersky so his spyware or changes don't show up. How could I find out?

3) Also - and this is not computer related - but can people really spy on your cell phone (or even your home phone)??? I've read these supposed claims (ie., "CellPhoneSnoop) that a person can install something - ON THEIR PHONE - and find out what YOU'RE doing on YOUR PHONE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements