Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Recovering Data from Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

mrbojos

mrbojos

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
A few weeks ago my computers crashed and I couldnt get windows to open. I tried several methods to recover trying various methods suggested. By luck, I aquired a almost new computer so I am not without a computer. However there is some information that I would like to get off of my hard drive. I have tried a Live Linux CD and jumping the drive off of my new computer. So far these have not worked. It was suggested that I get an external enclosure for the hard drive and plug into another computer. Ok I have that now. I have plugged it into my computer and it recognizes the drive. This to me is good news because anything else that I have tried has not detected the drive.

So know I have this hard drive plugged. I have clicked on the drive and it will not open it. A message pops up saying that it needs to format the drive. If I do this will it not erase the data that I am trying to recover?

Thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you format the drive IT will wipe out the data on the drive (if it is still there).

Assuming this is a IDE drive, have you tried changing the jumper for master and slave?

mrbojos

mrbojos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No I have a SATA drive. Actually, I have been working on this drive using info from this website. If you look at this topic it might give you more of an idea of what is going on: http://www.geekstogo...le-t278706.html

I have already used a Live Linux CD and plugged the drive into another desktop. This options didnt work and failed to open the drive. I aquired a usb enclosure and plugged it into my laptop. It recognized the drive but it keeps telling me that I need to format it to use it.

I noticed that the Drive was RAW. I dont know if this means anything but I have read some posts where this is a problem. Got any other ideas. Thanks

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
http://www.ontrack.com