Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old drive Hookup

• Please log in to reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Everyone,
This is a different HD problem for me. I have an old 30gb Seagate ATA V drive. I also have an old external HD holder. They should go well together because they're both old! (haha!!) What I mean is that the drive need a big fat slot plug and the 4 plugs - it looks kind of like this:
......... ......... ||||(jumpers) o o o o
......... .........
Hope this drawing makes sense to you - I'm thinking the youngsters have never seen this. Anyway, my HD holder is set up for this. When I plug it in, I get both a red light and a green light lit, and, I don't see the drive in My Computer or Devices. Now, I tried it with the jumpers set to master and when that didn't work I set them to slave. No difference.
Anyone have any ideas?
Id there any way that I can hook this up in a new HD holder (like some kind of a slot converter to go from big to small? And, if so, what do I do with the four plugs?
If you understand this, you ought to go on "whose smarter than a 5th grader" and kick some butt!!!
Thank you so much, Dianne

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You have a ATA drive not a SATA drive.
You must be using a USB enclosure. I suspect the enclosure is bad or the drive is bad.

You can buy new enclosures that support ATA or SATA or both.

If you have access to a desktop you can also attach it as a slave drive.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Note that ATA (in terms of connection types) is the same as PATA, IDE, EIDE, Ultra ATA and a few others names for the same "parallel" interface. While SATA uses a "serial" interface.

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thanks 123Runner and Digerati,
I bought a new enclosure so hopefully it will work.
I appreciate your help!

Dianne