Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

phone line to radio repeater

• Please log in to reply

don winston

don winston

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am the Chief of a rural fire department. To receive emergency transmissions from our dispatch center, we need to use a dedicated phone line from the dispatch center to our area because of mountains. The dedicated phone line is installed, and the radio repeater is ready for installation. The problem is, we do not know what equipment is required to convert voice from the phone line to the radio repeater, and how to connect the equipment.
The system also has to work in reverse, i.e. voice transmissions from our fire department members in the field are received at the radio repeater site, and must be converted to voice transmissions on the phone line back to the dispatch center.

I am told this technology has been in use for many years, but I can find no one in our remote area who knows how to make it work.

Help from any one will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the make/model of the radio repeater?

i can think of a couple of devices that may work

don winston

don winston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I am the Chief of a rural fire department. To receive emergency transmissions from our dispatch center, we need to use a dedicated phone line from the dispatch center to our area because of mountains. The dedicated phone line is installed, and the radio repeater is ready for installation. The problem is, we do not know what equipment is required to convert voice from the phone line to the radio repeater, and how to connect the equipment.
The system also has to work in reverse, i.e. voice transmissions from our fire department members in the field are received at the radio repeater site, and must be converted to voice transmissions on the phone line back to the dispatch center.

I am told this technology has been in use for many years, but I can find no one in our remote area who knows how to make it work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you ever get this solved? you never answered what equipment you actually have

don winston

don winston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having trouble navigating the site. I am quite computer illerate.
No, I have not solved the problem. I tried to respond with the type equipment we have, but apparantly did not do it correctly.

The repeater is a Kenwood model TKR750.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let me to some research on your contraption so i can see what types of interfaces it has and i'll get back to you with what i think would work.

basically what i THINK you're going to need is an analog channel bank.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alright, did a bit o' researches and this is a bit over my head hehe. i can think of a couple of ways to interface the thing over with a PBX phone system. but not directly to a phone line. the intertubes suggest that it is possible, though all of the repeater controllers (which apparently is at least part of what you need) that i see that have phone line interfaces use those interfaces to allow you to make phone calls from your radio, not for it to answer the phone and send it to the radio

Peterug13

Peterug13

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Have you figured this out yet? Motorola makes repeaters specifically designed to accept "dry line" or POTS connections with thier remote interfaces. email me if you have any questions.

Peter *removed email address*

Edited by Artellos, 24 August 2010 - 02:39 AM.

stone1

stone1

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I am an RF radio tech for over 40 years and your project is quite easy to do. First you need an interface from your phoneline to the radio. (phone patch). Your radio should have facility to hard wire this device.