Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

From Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows home premium problems

• Please log in to reply

papasmithnc

papasmithnc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer came with a prerelease version of Windows ultimate. The license expired and the program started reminding me that I needed to get the license renewed or activated. After a while, the program would start rebooting randomly after an hour or two usage and eventually would not boot at all. I installed an OEM version of windows 7 home premium but, I am having a couple of problems.

The first is that windows did not recognize my 2nd hard drive or D under windows ultimate. I am wondering now if the installation of the home premium did not install onto the D drive and it is C under the windows ultimate that is now being recognized. If so, this might explain my second problem.

The second problem is loooooong boot up times of 4 to 5 minutes.

I thought the installation would delete my the windows ultimate and install the windows 7 home premium. I am hoping that it did not instead install on my D drive and erase everything there. Thats where I had a lot of back up files. I had the same files on my C drive but, if the installation did indeed go to my D drive (Now it is referred to as C), how can I get my files off of the old C drive? In addition, what is the explanation for the loooooog boot up times???

Thanks for your help in advance.
Dave in NC

Advertisements

papasmithnc

papasmithnc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there anyone that has a solution for this problem???

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Personally, as cheap as hard drives have gotten, I'd start over. Disconnect your old hard drive(s), install Windows on a new hard drive, reconnect your old hard drive(s) and drag all of your data files into the proper folders on the new hard drive. Once you're sure you've got all your stuff moved over, you could then format the old hard drive(s) and use it/them for backups and extra storage space.

Just a suggestion ...