Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! My D: drive suddenly missing & free space

• Please log in to reply

geekstome

geekstome

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
guys, help me pls..

my d drive suddenly missing, there is lot of important stuff inside the partition..
i don't have any ideas what is going, it shown 104gb free space, but I didn't format it..
this case happens when I try to format another drive (labelled A in the picture), and I'm really sure, I didn't formatted a wrong partition..

help me pls

Posted Image

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Is it all one physical disk or another seperate disk?

If its one disk, by the looks of it that B space you killed the partition since there is no partition type or letter assigned to it.

geekstome

geekstome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
it's one disk (my netbook) , what do u mean by kill? all my data lost?
it is impossible because i didn't formatted it, just format the partition labelled as A, and it's only take 5-10 secs only, FYI, the partition labelled as B is nearly full as I loaded lot of stuff inside it (95gb i guess).

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
There is no partition there at all, its just free space. If there was a partition for B it would have a file system showing and a drive letter assigned.

geekstome

geekstome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
that is really weird..
it happens just after i format partition label A, B was my d:\ drive...
someone pls help me..

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Here is an example of how active partition should look like.

[attachment=42707:Disk_Management.JPG]

As you can see all the partition have a drive letter assign to them (c: D: E: ect) and they show in what is their file system (NTFS).

If you look at yours you have only one with a Drive letter (C:) and your 104 GB one seems to be empty, try to make it active and pray your data is still there (does not seem like it is).

You said you tried to format part A, part A as your drive C: (system) with also an unalocated space of 2.5 GB and you cannot format your drive C: from disk management.

Edited by Alzeimer, 18 June 2010 - 09:14 AM.

geekstome

geekstome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
A was created by resizing the c:\ partition , done by gparted, a linux software..
i try to assigned the B with a drive letter, but it asks me to format the partition and I'm not dare to do that, I'm still hoping there is a method to re-alive my partition..

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If Windows asks you to format it and there was data on it, then the partition table is gone/corrupted.

Edited by diabillic, 18 June 2010 - 02:41 PM.