Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lunar Install

• Please log in to reply

Bald Patches

Bald Patches

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm trying to install Lunar Linux OS on my external HD alongside other OS's but only my fixed HD appears during the install process.

I already have two Linux installations on the EHD.

Is there a way around this problem or will Lunar only install to an IHD???

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Did you add it to your GRUB Menu List?
The documentation seems to indicate you have to manually add it to the boot manager.

Bald Patches

Bald Patches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I haven't installed Lunar as the External Drive that I want to install to does not show up during the initial installation screens i.e. the screen to select partitions.

Is there any way that I can get the EHD recognised???

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If your PC is boot-able from external media (EHD,USB flashdrive) the easiest way is to disconnect the power to the internal hard drive(s), boot with the external drive plugged in and the install CD in the optical drive. Once the CD is booted you should be able to go through the install routine the drive should be boot-able once GRUB/LILO (a boot manager)is installed to the drive. Most PCs will look to boot from the usb drive first, if not you will have to toggle boot devices in the BIOS or using F10/11 (depends on PC mainboard manufacturer)to choose a boot device.

If your PC is not boot-able from USB you can use PLoP.

Bald Patches

Bald Patches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the info!

Bald Patches

Bald Patches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Following advice from another Forum I have been able to access the drive and install Lunar.

I first went into a shell and used lsmod to see what was available/installed - then tried to load the usb module but no play.

However, when I rebooted from the cd it behaved as a rescue disc and I was able continue the installation process and to load the modules from there.

I proceeded to install Lunar after partitioning and rebooted into Lynx to add a menuentry for Lunar to my Grub Menu List.

It is still a work in progress for a few more days as I need to reinstall Lunar without a grub on the partition - doesn't take long compared to some distros.

Hopefully that will be problem solved.

I will update here either way.
:)