Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is "stuttering". Is it hardware or software-related

• Please log in to reply

fishmael

fishmael

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Here's a link to my previous topic posted on the malware forum
http://www.geekstogo...ed-t279459.html
Jwang and I ran a number of scans and found no more malware on the computer. This is my original post:

Hi all, I'm running an Acer Extensa 4640Z that came with Vista, but 6 months ago I put Windows 7 on. I haven't had many problems sans the occasional audio stuttering, no matter the program. Acer's site didn't have any specifically Windows 7 audio drivers for the computer either, so I'm not sure if that's related. But as of recent, the computer, on and off, has been stuttering, even after a reboot, and there really aren't many programs or applications on it. I got zero results with HouseCall, and Spybot cleared the few pieces of malware on it. It's a generally clean computer.

But how can I tell if my programs are hardware or software related? I'm worried, that while moving, the harddrive was damaged and that's what's responsible for the "skipping" or "stuttering" of my computer's performance. It's been alright in the past hour, but I'm having occasional "skipping" when playing media files. For my media drivers I use the Combined Community Codec Pack. But I want to try detecting other issues that are making these problems.

Thanks.

Advertisements

fishmael

fishmael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Bump! Thanks guys :)

fishmael

fishmael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, so, it doesn't seem like media makes the stuttering happen, but it always happens when I play audio or video. Sometimes it'll do it even when I'm browsing the web. Any ideas? Or more tests I can run?

fishmael

fishmael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
[bleep] it