Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

genral protection fault for 98 se

• Please log in to reply

chiefterra

chiefterra

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I keep getting a general protection fault that locks up my computer when I run adaware se about halfway through the scan. I ran dr wasson and it said this :Windows KB891711 component has altered Windows system files.

Module Name: KB891711.EXE
Description: Windows KB891711 component
Version: 4.10.2223
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

any suggestions aare appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

timetowaste

timetowaste

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Don't run adware se. LOL

It sounds like your adware program has tried to remove a file or program that probably is adware and windows doesn't want to let it. I might try to run a different adware program and see if it has the same problem. This would indicate where the program is causing a problem or it really is adware in your system files.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808 and here to help you today.

I need to know what OS do you have currently?

Please find these updates:
* Go to Start > Settings
* Go to Control Panel
* Add/Remove Programs
* if you see any Windows update that is similar to KBxxxxx please post it here.

I will give you additional instructions afterwards.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi chiefterra

The file KB891711.exe file is a Windows security update file protecting against a "Vulnerability in cursor and icon format handling could allow remote code execution". As such I regard it as necessary. For more info see Microsoft MS05-002

However some people have reported problems with this file and it can be uninstalled using Add/Remove programs as kool808 suggested. You could try uninstalling the application and see if that fixes your problem. Depending on when you installed KB891711.exe it may be the case you have an older version of the file, there are known problems with the olderversion. So if uninstalling solves your problem, visit Windows updates again and reinstall the recent version. And then see if you still have the problem.

the message

I ran dr wasson and it said this :Windows KB891711 component has altered Windows system files

concerns me a little. Have you recently installed this file? I'm not sure if that's normal, I've never noticed that before and I have 3 win 98 machines here. Maybe someone here can further enlighten us on this issue.

Ps you can run adware in safe mode and avoid that problem as KB891711 should not be loaded in safe mode. Try that first and let us know what happens. To enter safe mode tap F8 (or CTRL) repeatedly while the system is booting up, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup Menu. :tazz:

Edited by StarHawk, 24 May 2005 - 08:47 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
windows critical updates by there very nature alter system files :tazz: