Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help upgrading and old computer

• Please log in to reply

daddyfatstacks

daddyfatstacks

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am trying to upgrade my roomates old Dell Inspiron 7000 from Windows ME to Windows XP and whenever i run the disk before before it reformats the computer says a file can't be loaded and won't let me go any farther than that. How can i get by this and be able to load on Windows XP.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

1: So what is the file name??

2: is this a new UNUSED XP cd??

3: Upgrades are nothing but trouble.. why aren't you just doing a clean install??

Murray

daddyfatstacks

daddyfatstacks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes it is a new XP disk, I am trying to reformat first and then install XP but i won't let me because it can't load a file

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Again.. what is the file that won't Load??

Everything can be done through the XP cd.. Just make sure the system is set to use the cd-rom as the first boot device.. Boot with the XP cd in the cd-rom drive and follow the prompts..

One of the options will be to remove all current partitions, set a new partition and format the drive..

Murray

daddyfatstacks

daddyfatstacks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the file that recently came up that can' t load is \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe

but the file name changes each time. Is there a way i can wipe the computer without running XP and then install XP or is there a way to get around this some how

I have reformatted computers many times before and never encountered this problem
Chris

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You could always use a Win98SE or WinME boot floppy.. Boot to fdisk and use the option to remove all NON-DOS partitions.. Then remove any other partitions..

Once that is done, use fdisk to create a Primary DOS partition (say YES tyo any questions asked)..

Once done, boot with the XP cd and try the install??

As a sidenote, when you boot using the XP cd, are you getting the option to "Start from the cd-rom" or are you having to open the cd and run setup from there??

Murray

daddyfatstacks

daddyfatstacks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i get the option to boot using the cd

thanks ill give that a shot