Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where is the HD on my Toshiba Tecra M3?

• Please log in to reply

gc2010

gc2010

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK so I have a Toshiba Tecra M3 laptop. It basically died last week and I wanted to see about replacing the hard drive with a spare one I have on hand.

So...I researched on the internet how to disassemble this laptop....and I removed the hard drive cover...and there is nothing there. It's like the spot for the hard drive...but it's empty.

It looks just like this picture....

Where is the hard drive if it's not here????? I'm so confused.

Attached Thumbnails

• Toshiba_Tecra_M2_teardown_04.jpg

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You have the right spot and if it was working one day and nothing the next (died as you said) and when you open the place where the hard drive should be and it is empty it is maybe that somebody stole it.

gc2010

gc2010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah after some more research....I figured it had to be something like that. I was just making sure there wasn't another place it could be....HA great! That's what I get for having roommates and their friends. Thanks!

Next question: Can I replace it with any 2.5 IDE harddrive? (I'm assuming its an IDE...someone correct me if I'm wrong) :-) THanks again!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Yes a 2.5 Ide will do just fine.

Please take notice that if you will install Windows XP (as specified as your OS) if your install cd is prior to SP1 then you have a limit size that it will install on of a partition of 132 GB, if your XP cd is SP1 or up then you do not have to take this in account.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Per your picture, the hard drive is definitely missing.
See picture in step 4 of this Link