Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

different regional DVDs & DVD players...can my computer mediate?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey guys. I have a dilemma here. I'm in the United States and was thinking about buying some concert DVDs from Europe. I know sometimes the European DVDs can't be played on US DVD players. I really want those DVDs in my collection and i have a few questions:
1) will they play on my computer?
2) will i be able to rip a copy, edit somehow, and then burn it onto a blank DVD disc so that it can play on my US DVD player?

Thanks for taking the time out to read my thread!!!

Edited by JaRvEy, 19 June 2010 - 07:37 PM.

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
It really depends on your drive, because the US use NTSC regional encoding, and Europe uses PAL, it will only play if your drive supports multi-standard (NTSC and PAL.) If it is a new drive it will most likely RPC-2 (regional Playback Control) but you can change it to RPC-1, which makes it virtually region free, but this usually voids the warranty. Hope this helped, please write back if you need any more information :)