Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Operating System (no Other Install)

• Please log in to reply

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
ahh nice i think ill order the cable.. i never knew this kind of stuff

the computer maker is HP Vectra VL so i dn if that would tell u much but the cd-rom drive looks exaclty like a drive from a laptop

the box doesnt ask for anything at all just gives me a blank box and something to to browse in.. im sry i was unclear about your last instructions with the box and how to remove it?

Advertisements

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i have a dsl cable that looks like a cat 5 cable and the crossover cable, could i use that and if i could what would i have to do

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

i have a dsl cable that looks like a cat 5 cable and the crossover cable, could i use that and if i could what would i have to do

No. A crossover is a special CAT5 cable that has the wires reversed on one end. You either have to make your own (if you own a crimper), or buy one. It shouldn't be more than $5-$10 dependant on the length you want.

the box doesnt ask for anything at all just gives me a blank box and something to to browse in.. im sry i was unclear about your last instructions with the box and how to remove it?

I don't think you need to worry about this if you're going to reformat and reinstall Windows. <_<

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
you said that i shouldnt worry about it if im reformortmatting and reinstalling.... this is on the 2nd computer we have that is already reformated and has xp on it so i dn if what to do about that

also when im gonna do the reformatting and reinstalling i should go through the setup, delete the d drive, then delete the c drive, create a new drive and install on that?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

you said that i shouldnt worry about it if im reformortmatting and reinstalling.... this is on the 2nd computer we have that is already reformated and has xp on it so i dn if what to do about that

Sorry, I got confused <_< . I thought we were dealing with the same system. Please start a new topic for that problem. It avoids confusion and helps other members that may have the same problems.

also when im gonna do the reformatting and reinstalling i should go through the setup, delete the d drive, then delete the c drive, create a new drive and install on that?

Yes, actually you delete any partitions found by setup, and then create one new partition. Format (I recommend using NTFS) and install XP.

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i have the cable what do i do!!, i dont think XP found it and i dont know how to connect the 2 computers, im gonna try to c if somethings work but do you know what to do to connect them

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try this:

Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Communicatins, run the Network Setup Wizard

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
ahh ok i get it it worked. when i unplugged it tho after and when back and replugged it in both computers the network it says "my documents is not accsesable. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this service to find out if you have accsess permissions. the network path was not found" and it wont work and i cant get it back on either computer... what should i do <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Are you trying to access My Documents? Click Here for more info on document sharing in XP.

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
aight that worked, thanx for that part, ive transfered my data! and now im off to try to do the rest!!! wish me luck! im goin in

Advertisements

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
by the way do u know anything about what i should do with my situation with putting a internal cd-rw drive in my computer (the computer model is listed above in a previous post

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
There should be some numbers on the front of the tower this will help on finding the cd rom that will fit in your pc HP Vectra VL ?????.
<_<

silverslik1

silverslik1

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
i dont see any number all it says is the hp vectra vl

if u go to google images (if this helps anything) is type in the "hp vectra vl"
and look for the picture where the entire this is very skinny, a white color and the cd rom drive is farther left then the floppy drive, i think you have to scrool for a couple of pages

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Click Here Is that it?

Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
that definatly looks like it could fit in my computer, but its not the cpu itself, heres the link that shows what my computer looks like http://www.bim-europ...stock_vente.htm and scroll all the way down till u see a computer sitting on a desk with the words PENTIUM III HP VECTRA VL and thats what the computer im refering to looks like

p.s the wipping my system and creating a new drive worked!! thank you guys so much <_<