Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random freezes requiring reboot

• Please log in to reply

chill

chill

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i am running (or attempting to, now) a self-built computer with the following specs:

asus a7v880 motherboard
athlon xp 3200 processor
1 gig ram
onboard lan
soundblaster audigy platinum pro 2zs
ati radeon 9800 xt video
120 gig sata harddrive
80 gig scsi drive (from an older computer, drive used for storage)
450 w power supply
dvd burner
cd burner
generic floppy drive
windows xp pro sp 2

here is the problem:
when i built the computer, originally with a 350 w power supply, the computer would randomly freeze, requiring a hard reboot. when i got and installed a new power supply
(this one 450 w) the problem went away.
it is now approximately 4 months later. at sometime, during the night, my computer crashed while i was asleep. the bios had lost the time, and i had to re-enter time before i could bring the computer back up. now the problem has suddenly returned. i have updated all drivers, ran a norton antivirus scan (no viruses), a microsoft spyware scan (no spyware) and i can not find the cause.
the problem is difficult to diagnose, because when it freezes, the only possible recovery is a hard reboot. i have even tried waiting for the freeze with task manager up with the processes showing, hoping to see anything that might be overdrawing resources, but there is nothing suspicious.
any help would be greatly appreciated. i don't want to build a new computer, but i might have to, as i am about to throw this one through my window.

Advertisements

chill

chill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
oh yeah, tempuratures are running pretty constant at the following approximations:
cpu: 48/119 c/f
motherboard: 28/82 c/f