Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound volume is too low lately

• Please log in to reply

TravelerDiogenes

TravelerDiogenes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have:

PC: Dell Dimension 8300
Processor: 2.8 GHz Pentium 4
RAM: 2.5 GB
Sound Card: Soundblaster w/ Creative SB Audigy 2
Speakers: Altec-Lansing that came with the Dell - 4.1

My sound went out 4 months ago, and I got it back by getting updated drivers from the Soundblaster web site. Nothing else worked.

Now in the last month, the sound level has dropped off a LOT. Prior to that, it may have been down a bit, but nothing I really noticed.

With the Windows volume set all the way up and the speaker turned all the way up to 10, I can barely hear sound - about the same as was at 2. NOTHING is coming out of the subwoofer.

EVERY setting I can find is set to maximum.

Is my sound card shot? Any way of testing it?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Have you tried the speakers on another computer?

Are the speakers powered, with a separate wall-wart transformer? If so, is it plugged in securely to the wall receptacle and into the power input port on the speaker? You might also want to check the wall-wart's power output with a multimeter.

I have seen some speakers that are battery powered. Maybe the batteries need to be replaced?

I have also seen speakers that use a USB port for power. If yours do, make sure the USB port that they're plugged into is actually working (supplying power).

TravelerDiogenes

TravelerDiogenes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply.

All your points would seem good ones if this was all a new system. The speakers have worked fine for years, though it DOES sound like a battery dying, doesn't it? There is no battery compartment on any of the four speakers. I checked the fuse, just to make sure. The sound dropped to zero when I pulled the fuse out.

The 4 speakers come off the subwoofer, which is powered from 110 VAC. What transformers the subwoofer has inside I don't know. Would there be a battery inside an Altec Lansing subwoofer?

I don't have another PC to check the speakers out on.

But I do have to say that the sound has now dropped to nearly zero. I have to have the speakers right by me to hear.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Before I started tearing up my Windows drivers, settings, etc., I'd invite someone with a laptop, over for a drink/dinner. :)

If the speakers exhibit the behavior when plugged into the laptop, you'd know your speakers are the problem.

--

Or, how about the other way around? Do you, or a friend, have another set of speakers you could try? If they work fine, you'd know your speakers are the problem.