Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

EVGA GTS 250 1GB

• Please log in to reply

JustinD

JustinD

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Okay so I got the EVGA GTS 250 1GB Graphics card, and I have no clue on how to install it onto my mother board. My motherboard is an ASUS M3N78-VM, and my Power supply is Cooler Master eXtreme Power 500W. The wires that connect to my power supply is from my motherboard to the power supply right? Sadly all the wires are put in the front of my computer when my cousin built it, and I have no clue on how to take it out without damaging my computer, so is there a video or anything that explains on how to install it without killing my mother board and graphics card at the same time ?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If you are upgrading the graphics card, you will need to take the old one out and plug the new one in. Then you will need a power connector from the PSU that goes to the graphics card itself.

The power connectors going to the motherboard don't need to be touched at all.

Perhaps you could take some pics and upload them? I'm not sure what you mean by your cousin putting all the wires at the "front".

Troy

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Sorry for a late reply, but there's this drive I don't know what exactly it is, but it leaves 1 cm of space left if the GTS 250 is connected . My motherboards graphics card is Integrated nVidia GeForce 8200, so I can't take it out.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Are you able to move the hard drive to a higher or lower bay?

For the graphics, that's fine, you obviously can't take it out then. Adding the new card will usually disable the onboard automatically.

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Should I take a picture of the interior of my computer? Secondly there 6 pin connector for the GTS 250 has the 2 wires connecting to the power supply, but when I look in my machine I don't see any plugs that fit the power connector from the graphics card .

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yes, please take photos of what you are describing and upload them, we'll let you know.

Sounds like you are on the right track, we'll get there. :)

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Cause I can't find things that will connect the two 4 pin molex plugs that's connected with the 6 pin on my graphics card. I'll record my computer with my ipod, since its easier to upload, and it should be done soon .

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Alright here's the video :

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
My Mother board is ASUS M3N78-VM if you were wondering.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Okay with the power completely disconnected, you'll want to move the SATA cables out of the way, so remove them from the connections in front of the PCI-Express slot and move them to higher connections. The power cables can be disconnected and moved out of the way temporarily to fit the card. Then you want to insert the card and make sure you got the power connector to it plugged it. Then ensure that the hard drives are properly connected and powered, you can run the power and data cables for them around the video card now that you've installed it.

Make sense? Best I could do given the video. :)

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
But the cord coming from the 6-pin that connects to the GTS 250, has 2 4pin molex connectors, does my computer have 2 to connect it? I can't seem to find it, also if I'm missing it can you show me how and which ones to get preferably from Canada Computers ? Thanks in advance !

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Does the Cooler Master PSU not have its own 6-pin graphics connector? If it doesn't, and you can't find two spare molex for the adapter, you're going to need to upgrade the PSU.

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Err I don't know where it is, and I still have the box, I'll type the stuff that was included with my Power Supply.

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
At the back it shows and says : 20+4 pin x 1 MotherBoard Connector, 4 pin x 1 CPU+12V Connector, 6 pin x1 PCI-e Connector, S-ATA x 3 S-ATA Connectors, 4 pin x 6 Peripheral Connectors, 4 pin x 2 Floppy Connectors.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

6 pin x1 PCI-e Connector

That one right there, should be the only 6-pin connector on the PSU, just plug it straight into the graphics card. :)