Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just updated XP now nothing will run

• Please log in to reply

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi, I recently did a big update on Windows XP and now today when I booted up my computer, I got error messages on startup saying "the application failed to initialize properly 0xc000001d" the apps that were supposed to startup were my wireless adapter's software and Avast antivirus. Both got the error message telling me to press "ok" to terminate them. Then, I tried opening Firefox to Google the problem. Same error message, same on Opera also and Chrome didn't even start up or get an error message. All my applications except for IE and Microsoft software (Xcel, Word) get the error message and terminate. Also, it says I'm connected to my wireless network but when I open up IE it acts as if I'm not connected, I think this is because of some software tied to my wireless adapter not working though. I tried a System Restore to a previous point that was before the updates, the restore was successful but I still get the error messages.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Frustrated05...

Are you able to run a System Restore? If the applet will open, restore to a time just before the updates were installed.

wannabe1

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi, yes, I am able to use the System Restore tool. I did create a restore point to just before I downloaded and installed the updates. I was able to successfully restore back to that point (before the updates), but I still get the error messages.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Read right past the fact that you'd already tried a System Restore...sorry. :)

Do you have your XP disk? If so, is it a Microsoft disk or an OEM (branded) disk?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well, as asked by Wannabe1, "Do you have the CD"

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I have an OEM disk

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Open My Computer. Right click the HDD carrying Windows, Click Properties, Click Tools, Click Error
checking, click Check Now, click to check Automatically fix file errors, Click Start. You will be asked do you wish to reschedule for next restart. Click YES.
Restart computer. DO NOT INTERRUPT the check or use the computer.
When that has finished. and provising no warnings as computer is restarted
DO THIS

Insert the CD.
If it autoruns, simply exit from that.
Click Start
Click Run
Type "sfc /scannow" without the colons.
Note space between sfc and /.

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I did the Windows hard drive scan / fix and tried using the sfc /scannow, it told me I had the wrong CD and I can't find any other Windows CDs I have, the problem still isn't fixed from the Windows scanner though.

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Nevermind, I found the disk and sfc /scannow worked, just had to hit retry a bunch of times. Everything seems fixed now Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Did the update itself actually succeed in the first place and what was the update.
Pleased it is fixed but you need to check this aspect of the problem

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 June 2010 - 01:10 PM.