Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Audio Device

• Please log in to reply

Emmit West

Emmit West

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So I was attacked, and now that it's cleared up (I sincerely hope) I cannot play audio. When I try to play something with sound, this pops up:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

When I go to Control Panel --> Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices --> Sounds and Audo Devices, I have no options under any of the Volume, Audio, or Voice tabs.

*Homer Simpson voice*
Stupid Virus

Emmit

ps... I hope this was posted in the right place.

Edited by Emmit West, 20 June 2010 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements

Emmit West

Emmit West

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So clearly I have more problems than I realize, since I cannot update my Microsoft Security Essentials nor access parts of the Microsoft site.

Edited by Emmit West, 20 June 2010 - 04:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you are not cleaned yet.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Emmit West

Emmit West

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
rshaffer,

Well, that's where I started, but it won't hurt to start again... I just hope I am not in the 30%!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this as it has proven to work numerous times.
Go to Device Manager and then click on the tab named Device Drivers

Disable microsoft UAA bus driver ...
Uninstall UAA bus driver

Install realtek driver and it will work.

Emmit West

Emmit West

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Heya...

I am currently waiting for a reply in the malware and spyware removal forum.

In my ignorance, I couldn't find Device Manager. However sound is working now, and Soundmax HD Audio is there where nothing was before.

Perhaps it was a post-virus hiccup (or perhaps it was the computer fairy) but I didn't do anything.

Emmit

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let the malware techs scan deeper to make sure you are in deed healthy. Never hurts to be sure in this case.

Emmit West

Emmit West

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks, I will since I still cannot get updates for Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows. Although, I did find a place at Microsoft to update MSE manually.