Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Connection Issues After Reinstalling Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

XDarkz

XDarkz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Compaq Presario V5000 that's been acting up so I finally decided to reinstall Windows XP and reformat everything. After many hours of me and my brother trying to work on reinstalling the drivers and what-not, we've almost completely restored the machine to it's previous capabilities.

However -- Wireless network is the exception. We have a Linksys modem and a Netgear Router with Cox Internet. We attempted to wirelessly connect by using our other fully functioning computer and their settings as a template. It still refuses to work.

It stalled on "Verifying Identification" which we eventually figured out how to solve by unchecking the little "Enable IEEE 802 1z authentication for this network" box.

A new persistent problem emerges. We changed the Network Authentication to WPA-PSK and Data Encryption to AES. We attempted to find WPA2-PSK cause that's what the other computers are running wireless on, but we couldn't. Other people told us just to using WPA is fine but I'm not so sure. With that said, the problem currently lies in trying to "acquire network address". When it isn't saying that, it usually has "limited to no connectivity".

What should I do? Did I set up the Network Authentication and Data Encryption wrong? It's a frustrating problem that we've attempted to fix ourselves but couldn't. Any input would be lovely, please and thank you.

Edited by XDarkz, 20 June 2010 - 05:24 PM.

Advertisements

XDarkz

XDarkz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
-- I've already reinstalled the drivers with the yellow question mark next to it in the Device Manager.

If I may ask, how do you obtain the WPA2 setting, I can't see the option.

Edited by XDarkz, 20 June 2010 - 05:48 PM.