Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless connection problems.

• Please log in to reply

Torack

Torack

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I have a network of 3 computers, 2 desktops attached by network cable, and a laptop with a wireless card. I believe the problem I am having is with the wireless connection.

The wireless router I am using is a:
"Netgear 108mbps Wireless firewall router"

The wireless card for the laptop is a:
"DrayTek Vigor560 Wireless 11g CardBus Adapter"

The Internet connection we have is ISDN, and ICS is activated, so I had to change the router IP to 192.168.0.4 so the main computer could take the main address. I also had to disable DHCP on the router.

The wireless connection was working relitively fine, then I downloaded "Ad-Aware SE Personal" and "Registry Mechanic" to take care of a few problems. After running the programs and fixing up the spyware problems, I rebooted. I now get an error message reading:

WLAN_Manager
! Could not connect WMI

The Wireless connection now does not work. I have tried using system restore to fix the problem and messed around with a few other things but have not come closer to solving anything. If I attach a cable to the laptop, I can access the network (the network also has a few problems but lets focus on this first).

Although I am not a networking Guru, I am fairly computer literate and have had some experiences with network problems before. I am new to this whole wireless thingy though.

I've attached a screenshot of a bunch of windows that I think are related to the problem. If more information is required, just ask.
Any help would be excellent.

WirelessProblems.jpg

Thanks.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you said you had to disable DHCP on your router? Now that means you have to set a static IP on everything. Now in the screenshot the wireless config page shows that you have DHCP enabled on it. Try this. Go to control panel, network connections and right click on the wireless connection and click properties, now select "Internet Protocol tcp/ip" in the list and click the properties button. Now select "Use the following IP address". Type in your ip, it must be within the same range as your router for example, your router is 192.168.0.4 so everything on the network must start with 192.168.0. Now set the dns server and default gateway to 192.168.0.4. Things should work fine after this.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: