Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP ME. COMPUTER FREEZES

• Please log in to reply

Paulabanana

Paulabanana

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there.

Sorry if I break some rules by posting this just like that, but I'm DESPERATE, literally.

A few weeks ago my mom took my computer to some fixing place, cause it was freezing for no reason and was VERY slow. So there they Re-installed WINDOWS and kept all my data. The first days after that happened it worked just fine, but then I moved and something weird start happening, FIRST, the internet disconnect every few minutes, at first I thought it was an internet problem, cause I just moved. But no, the internet company came and they "solved" the problem. IT DIDN'T WORKED whatever they did. My windows live messenger kept disconnecting and saying "the conection has been lost... blah blah" or something like that. AFTER THAT, the computer started FREEZING everytime I turned it on, you see... I could use it just fine for hours then turn it off till the next day and it wouldnt turn on. after the inital start up before the WINDOWS XP is loading and whatever appeared... the screen turned BLACK with a " _ " blinking on the screen, and it would respond to any key. so I turn it off and on again, over and over again the same problem. sometimes it appeared a screen with several options to start, and then after the 30 seconds on when I click one it just FREEZES! and i try like 100 times to turn it on untill it finally works, and then FREEZES AGAIN! its very annoying!! and I don't know what to do! please can someone HELP ME!?

pd. I dont have the windows install cd, if you recommend I re-install, is there another way to do so, without the cd? PLEASE HELP!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If it is a fresh install and still freezes it is probably an hardware problem.

If I was you i would test my hard drive and my memory sticks (RAM)

For your hard drive download the utility program from your Hard Drive manufacturer and burn it so it will be bootable and boot from it.

For your RAM dowmload the bootable ISO image of MEMTEST86 and burn it on a cd and boot from it. Please take note that if you have more then one memory stick install only leave one in there for each test and also take note to let it go all the way to the end for each stick (it takes a long time).

To boot from a cd you will have to go into your BIOS menu and change your boot order so your CD/DVD-rom will be your first boot.

I would check your Hard Drive first but if both pass the test then we will look at other possibilities for your problem.

Paulabanana

Paulabanana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If it is a fresh install and still freezes it is probably an hardware problem.

If I was you i would test my hard drive and my memory sticks (RAM)

For your hard drive download the utility program from your Hard Drive manufacturer and burn it so it will be bootable and boot from it.

For your RAM dowmload the bootable ISO image of MEMTEST86 and burn it on a cd and boot from it. Please take note that if you have more then one memory stick install only leave one in there for each test and also take note to let it go all the way to the end for each stick (it takes a long time).

To boot from a cd you will have to go into your BIOS menu and change your boot order so your CD/DVD-rom will be your first boot.

I would check your Hard Drive first but if both pass the test then we will look at other possibilities for your problem.

Hey thanks alot for the tips, but I have a few questions before doing what you told me... I'm not sure what am I suppossed to download to test my hard drive, I know that the model is SAMSUMG HD080HJ, and when I google it to find a utility program several appear and I'm kinda scared to download one that isn't the one I'm suppossed to, beside it says that I MUST make a backup pf my info, with I do have on D disk, but I really dont know how that backup thing works, if it isnt on C then it's safe to have it on D? I'm sorry but I'm kind of lost in this area, and I really don't want to lose my data.

THANKS AGAIN!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
http://www.samsung.c...port_HUTIL.html

Use this program (HUTIL)for a Samsung HD080HJ, they suggest to back up your important data because it is not only a self diagnostic tool that will scan your drive for errors but it also has others options and one of them is to erase all data on your Hard Drive.

When you use the program only use the DIAGNOSTIC TOOL and nothing else and you will be ok. But if you want to be safe just in case copy your personal data to your D: drive or on a CD/DVD

They suggest to put the program on a 3.5 floppy disk (follow their instruction on the web page) and if you choose that option (instead of a CD) just make sure that when you want to boot from the floppy that your floppy is your first boot device in your BIOS.