Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

VPN Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

Deranged Creature

Deranged Creature

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Currently one of my jobs has a VPN server setup so I can log in and work there and while I can I am having a few issues from home.

1) My internet drops, I am still connected to the VPN but my computer I connect with and all computers on my network can't access the internet.

2) My Network resources (printers and so on) are not shared on the VPN connection so I am unable to print at my home printers, I can still print at work obviously.

Little bit about my setup:

I have a Windows XP machine on a WRT54G Linksys router. I am using the Wireless feature on it, although I am not sure if that would matter.
I can connect and work fine, just those few problems.

At my first job I can connection fine and my internet on that computer does not get disconnected as well as about 15 printers at my work show up on my other jobs printers. It is on a domain with a Cisco router. No problems here at all.

One day when I was visiting my parents I connected just fine, still connected to the internet and printers there shared. I used the same setup in all 3 locations as far as I know. I really do not know what is causing this issue. They have a Linksys router as well. There are no DMZ's assigned anywhere, even though I am not sure that would matter.

While I am not 100% worried about it, as when I am working I generally do not browse the internet on my computer, I am tired of getting yelled at by my girl friend due to the internet dropping out on her wireless card.

My work uses a D-Link VPN server, I really do not think it is on there side since I have been able to connect in different locations without a problem.

If anyone has any ideas I thank you in advance.

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
this may help, quoted from http://www.chicagote...issuesonvpn.htm

Can't access the Internet while using VPN

Symptom: after establishing a VPN connection, you may not be able to access the Internet because the VPN takes over your existing connection and all traffic to use the VPN default gateway on the remote network. The remote network may not allow VPN clients to access the Internet via their gateway.

1) If you don't need to access the entire VPN resources, disable the "use default gateway on remote network" option in the properties of the VPN connection.
2) Edit route table manually if you know how to or check routing page on this web site.
3) For the security reason, some firewall/routers like Cisco PIX do not allow access the Internet after establishing the VPN and you cannot modify the routing table. You may setup split-tunnel.