Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 + New Disk - How do I.....

• Please log in to reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Good Morning,
I have Windows 7 (not installed) and a brand new HD. I would like to put W7 on the new HD to use and teach myself how to use. Please tell me in dumb-people terms how to do this.
I know I must just install W7 on the new HD, but, I want to make sure it does not interfere or disturb my XP. Is there anything else I need to do? Then how do I run it? I don't think I want to run it through XP, do I? Do I need to do something to turn XP off and W7 on?
I really appreciate your help,
Dianne

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unplug the hard drive with XP on it.
Leave connected only the drive you want Windows 7 on.
Power up the PC and then put the Windows 7 disk in. Follow instructions.
You cannot screw up XP this way because as far as Windows is concerned, you only have one.

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Neil,
Thanks for your help! Question... The drive my XP is on is internal - is there another way than open the case and pull that pluggy thing out? W7 will be on an external - will the system think that's my "C" drive?
I think I'm a little confused....
Dianne

Rasen_Shurik3n

Rasen_Shurik3n

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well, you could use Dualboot it would be easiest than having 2 HDs with windows.
You can follow a guide from here

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Rasen-Shurik3n... Thanks for your reply!! That's a great idea. Now all I need to do is go out to the instructions and hope I can follow them - it won't be the instructions, it'll be me that has the problem!!