Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp looping, which boot disk and then what?

• Please log in to reply

Neuterand Spay999

Neuterand Spay999

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. My computer has xp home (upgraded from 98SE), SP3, all but two updates (they wouldn't install). I tryed to install an update, wouldn't, so I read somewhere to merge an old reg file with my registry. :) I did. The next time I turned on my computer, it gives me a choice of the usual start windows in 20 seconds, or start in safe mode. I added that option to the config files (to start in safe mode) because F8 never worked. That is all I get. If I select any of them it just loops back to that screen. I tried F8 but the only option that worked was for me to disable auto restart (or something to that effect) and safe mode. Safe mode will start for 5 seconds and then I get the blue screen with the STOP error 0x0000007B (0xFC66528,0xC0000034, then the rest of the codes are zeros). And then it just freezes. Also, I noticed on one of the screens that the SP3 is now SP2.
I don't know how to edit the bios, I don't have 6 floppys, (I have two floppys)and a USB. I don't know if it is an OEM, fat or the other specific thing. My question, besides the obvious of what I should do is, what boot disk (98se or xp home) should I use and could you post a link to it in your answer. And then what? I use Panda Internet security Suite. My hard drive is 1G and I do have a copy of the 98 disk but can't locate my xp home disk. I recently moved and I
packed my special disks somewhere special. I have yet to find it.
As I am apparently a newbie, with anything outside of downloading, surfing and playing games on my computer, I would appriciate it, if you could tell me what to do step by step. Thank you! :)

Advertisements

computerxpds

computerxpds

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 44 posts
Well I would boot into the windows xp disc and run the repair module and run a chkdsk /r here is how:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.
5. at the command prompt type chkdsk /r (notice the space between chkdsk and /r)
6. now let it run.