Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent disconnection problems

• Please log in to reply

JanetteB

JanetteB

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a satellite internet connection with a Linksys Wireless G access point. I get frequent disconnection problems, sometimes only lasting a few seconds and have been told this is due to conflict between the satellite modem and wireless modem. i was advised to turn off DHCP in the Linksys router. When i turned off DHCP, i could no longer access email as it did not recognise the IP address. I disabled the DHCP by going to Administrative Tools>Component Services>Local Services> DNS client. I had to enable it again when the email did not work. have i disabled DHCP in the satellite modem or the Linksys modem, i need to disable it in the Linksys modem I think, but how do I do this, and is it likely to fix the problem? Usually using 2 laptops in the evenings.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

. I disabled the DHCP by going to Administrative Tools>Component Services>Local Services> DNS client.

this is a problem, you don't disable DHCP on your computer.

have i disabled DHCP in the satellite modem or the Linksys modem, i need to disable it in the Linksys modem I think, but how do I do this, and is it likely to fix the problem?

this is probably what you're wanting to do. can you look through your router (linksys) configuration pages for something called "access point mode" or "bridge mode"? do you have the manual for your router?

it sounds as though your satellite modem (hughesnet or someone else?) is also a router, it's not advised for most home users to have 2 routers in a home network (it can be done but you have to know what you're doing). turning one router (your linksys in this case) into a wireless access point instead of a router will usually rectify the issues that can be caused by having 2 routers in the mix. an access point is basically a wireless switch or hub and allows you to connect multiple computers into the LAN that's created by your satellite modem/router.

JanetteB

JanetteB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I do not have a manual for the Linkys WAP. The satellite modem is through Skymesh.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the model# on the linksys device

JanetteB

JanetteB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the model is Linksys Wireless - G access point, model no. WAP54G if this helps.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that linksys device is already an access point, so it shouldn't need any configuration changes. have you contacted your satellite provider to see if it's an issue on their side?

JanetteB

JanetteB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Satellite provider says there is conflict between the Linksys device and their modem, and if they are both trying to do the same job, then that causes disconnection problems. The function called DHCP they say is in both devices and should be turned off in the Linksys WAP.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's an AP, it shouldn't be issuing DHCP addresses anyway. i believe your satellite provider is assuming that it's a linksys router, it's not a linksys router it's a linksys access point. and an access point is basically just a wireless switch, all it does is connect by ethernet to a wired network, and allows wireless clients to connect in wirelessly. it doesn't route and it doesn't assign ip addresses.

Here is the user guide for your device

you might try resetting the AP back to factory defaults. there should be a reset button on the back of the AP right next to the ethernet port. unplug the power, hold that button in and plug the power back in while continuing to hold the reset button for 5 to 10 seconds, then let go of the reset button. you'll have to set up any wireless security again.