Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Register Purchased Software

• Please log in to reply

Fnordia

Fnordia

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Geeks,

I have a piece of software called 'CheckNique' that I purchased several years ago. Now that I've moved to a new computer I tried to reinstall it from the installer files I have saved, but the 'register.exe' file is no longer working.

I tried to contact the company I bought the software from but they've disappeared or gone out of business.

I can install the software but it only allows me at 15 day trial before it locks, and since I can't register it I don't know what to do.

Any advice on how to get around this? I paid good money for the software and would be sad to lose that... not to mention that I can't seem to find another piece of software that works like I need it to!

Thanks.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Try some of the links at the locations in the Google search Here

The 1st one looks to be a place to start.

This Link has trade in opportunities for the old software.

123runner

Fnordia

Fnordia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have already researched this online quite thoroughly. That's not the same product, software or company - it's a different product that seems to have the same name.

The CheckNique program I'm talking about was created by PBD Technologies and purchased from Cramer Specialty Sales.

The help links in the software go to the site which seems to be just a link farm now. Here is the link that was provided originally to download the software: http://www.cramerspe...oads/csmchk.exe

The issue isn't the software itself, I have it and it is installed. The problem is that the instructions to register the software involve running a program that was included with the software (register.exe) that would process the registration and unlock the trial mode. This piece is no longer working so I can't get out of the free trial, which once it expired locked me out of the program entirely.

Edited by Fnordia, 21 June 2010 - 09:00 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
123Runner. Posted Image
Is it possible the required (unlock) file is still on the old computer, old drive? Would it be possible to copy that file to the new computer?

Fnordia

Fnordia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Unfortunately I had both the installer and the register file saved on a network drive, not my local computer. That's where I installed it from before, same process. I also tried on another computer, no luck. Must be something wrong with the file?