Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

going back to school

• Please log in to reply

mobypulver

mobypulver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
iam a disabled vet going back to school and befor i pick a major i would like to ask 12 questions things like

• type of training
  • what schools do you recomend
  • how hard is it to find employment
  • how much experience is required
  • job outlook
  • entry level salary
  • physical nature of job (very little use of my legs)
  • what the best thing and worst thing about your job
  • a typical career path (advance,specialization)
  • finaly what advice would you give me if i go in to this field of work.
Any one that can help me thank you in advance

Edit:Added formatting to make question more readable

Edited by dsenette, 21 June 2010 - 01:17 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll give some of these a go.

I'm a network administrator (technically THE network administrator for my company)

1.type of training

i've got an associates of applied science - computer networking systems degree

2.what schools do you recomend

i got my degree from ITT Tech, and depending on the quality of your local campus, i recommend ITT as a viable alternative to "regular school". in my experience they're a very good technical school and i feel like i got my money's worth

3.how hard is it to find employment

anywhere from very, to extremely? depends on what your specialty is, what your education level is, what your experience is, what your local job market is, what price range you're looking for, etc.. etc.. etc.. it's an extremely poor job market right now so it's hard to say for sure

4.how much experience is required

to get a job in IT in a government run facility with top secret security clearance, a lot. to load paper in printers at your local car dealership, probably not that much.

5.job outlook

not sure what this means

6.entry level salary

depends on your location, your experience level, your education level, and the company you land a job with, but anywhere from $25k a year to $60k a year seems reasonable as an estimate

7.physical nature of job (very little use of my legs)

depends on the job you're going after. in my job i do a lot of walking because i support every electronic device in the building, and our building is close to a half mile long. if you go into programming, then you can expect to sit in your chair all day.

8.what the best thing and worst thing about your job

best: i get to do a job that i really enjoy, i get a lot of freedoms, and i get to play with a lot of fun toys. Worst: dealing with users who SHOULD know what they're doing but don't

9.a typical career path (advance,specialization)

entirely too broad to define

10.finaly what advice would you give me if i go in to this field of work.

be sure now that it's something that you want to do, working in IT isn't for everyone (just because you know a thing or two about computers, doesn't mean you'll enjoy working with them every day). also pick a specialty that will be your go-to skill on a resume, but don't just focus on it. having a lot of tricks up your sleeves will make you much more employable