Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Computer Hardware Manufacturers

• Please log in to reply

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Best Computer Hardware Manufacturers

I’ve built a couple of computers now and they all run very well, and I have had no problems. For my next built I want to build a very top quality with the best pieces of hardware. So here are my questions (I’m looking for actual quality, not subjective favorites)
(AMD Build)
1. What companies make the best Motherboards, Memory, Graphics Cards, PSU’s, Hard Drives and Optical Drives.
2. Integration Issues such as: "Asus may make the best motherboards but the top RAM (Kingston) doesn’t work as good as Crucial with an Asus MoBo."

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you're looking for actual quality and not subjective favourites, I personally think you'll never get the right answer.

The truth is there are many good manufacturers out there.

So for my "subjective" favourites:

Motherboards: Gigabyte make awesome motherboards, very rarely have I had issues with them. If I am doing a high-end build, I will also consider an Asus motherboard, but never Asus for their budget range.

Memory: Heaps of good stuff, I personally like to choose RAM with lifetime warranty and heatsinks. Kingston, Patriot, Corsair, Crucial, GeIL, OCZ, and G.Skill have all given me good results. I'm sure there's more but that's it off the top of my head.

Graphics Cards: Again plenty of good stuff. Two stand out for their lifetime warranty - EVGA and XFX, I currently have an XFX and it's fantastic. Plenty of others as well that make good cards.

PSU: This is a tricky one, there are some manufacturers who have different ranges, one I will touch the other I will not, then there are good all-round companies (like Corsair) and brands I won't ever touch (like Rosewill or Cooler Master). Do some research for a PSU list, there's a few out there, followed by plenty of discussion and debate.

Hard Drive: Generally this will come down to Seagate and Western Digital, but also Hitachi and Samsung are major players. I've had good and bad experiences with all of them, but generally favour Seagate, seem to give good performance for the money. WD Black drives are awesome as well.

Optical: I've only had Pioneer personally, fantastic. But I don't do hardly any burning, done more on my Samsung drive at work than at home and it burns just fine. Lite-On works great but are really noisy in my experience.

So there you have it, just my opinions and you can't ask for anything more out of anyone. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who disagree with me on a certain opinion, I actually wouldn't mind hearing them because it all comes down to everyone's experiences with the parts anyway. I just keep choosing the same parts that keep working for me. And of course avoid the parts that keep stuffing up on me.

Cheers

Troy

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for your selection... I typically like everything that you mentioned except that I dont have a lot of experience with Gigabyte, and tend to go with Asus. The question came from a conversation based on how Mac OS only has to work on their Hardware, while Windows has to work on all kinds of builds. I was wondering if there was an ultimate high quality build that would give a user great performance. Of course selection of Antivirus software comes in to play as well.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's that flexibility, why I love Windows - one of the reasons anyway.

There are plenty of "ultimate" configurations to give a user great performance, it all depends on the tasks the user wants the computer to do.