Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random "crashes", sound looping, frozen screen

• Please log in to reply

DeFoe

DeFoe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My system specs:
Windows XP home (SP3)
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS (Currently using Nvidia Omega Drivers 2.169.12, But the problem existed with my original Nvidia drivers.)
Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4ghz
2gb of ram

I've been having seemingly random "crashes" during games like Fallout 3 and Team Fortress 2, the monitor says on (obviously "frozen" on that one frame), but the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive, also the sound loops. I end up having to pull the plug to get the computer back on. The games I've experienced these issues in, both run off of Steam (incase that somehow factors in).

I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem, or if there's a common element to the crashing (for example, faulty hardware, a bad setting or system driver, maybe a specific process starts in the background each time?) and I don't know of a way to find out what's going on or fix it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edited by DeFoe, 21 June 2010 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements