Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Crash: No Longer Boots

• Please log in to reply

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hp Laptop: Hp Pavilion dv6000
Running Vista
Out of warranty

Last night while wrapping up a C# assignment for a class in visual studio I went to open the file, to make sure it had saved. My computer started freezing up and then blue screened and reset itself. I began to get the blue screen of death on every reboot or else a hanging black screen. I've researched this to death but can't get any further. I will mention that I smacked my fist on the keyboard after it blue screened the first time, though I really didn't hit it that hard. lol...Worth mentioning as I am trying to cover all my bases. Booting into safe mode kept freezing at crcdsk.sys then blue screening again, then when I attempted the Vista recovery disk it froze at a black screen, which I left up all night and never finished loading. I attempted safe mode again. This time it kept stopping at disk.sys and then blue screening. I attempted to load windows with the option to not restart on failure to load windows, so I could read the bluescreen. The bluescreen is the Unmountable_boot_volume error. I tried many times, unsuccessfully to get my vista repair cd to start. After many attempts and a lot of patience, it finally loaded.

When I click repair my computer, It goes to list the operating systems, and finds nothing. So I click to select drivers and I see HP Recovery (D:) 1.89GB free of 7.9GB, and BOOT(X:) (don't know what that is) and Local Disk (C:) which shows nothing, and freezes up when you try to click it. Also my dvd drive with the vista recovery disc in it. So I clicked next and went into the system recovery options screen. I chose the startup repair option first. I let it run and this was what the results were at the end:

Root cause found: system volume on disk is corrupt.
repair action: file system repair (chkdsk)
result: completed successfully. error code = 0x0
time taken = 1441901ms

I was excited, thinking it had found a problem, and successfully fixed it so I was better off than I was in the beginning.

I clicked restart, and windows attempted to restart. I am not 100% sure if it actually restarted properly...It seemed to cutoff suddenly. I got the Bluescreen again upon restarting. I went into the BIOS to see if it could locate the HD. The Primary Hard drive test failed giving me a #1-07 error.

The next reboot sent me to the windows boot manager. Not sure how I got there but my options were to choose: windows setup (EMS enabled) or windows memory diagnostic tool. I tried the diagnostic tool first and got this:
file /boot/memtest.exe
status 0xc000000f
info: selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I am going back into the recovery options screen now to attempt other fixes. I have heard that trying to open the laptop and reseat the HD may work, or downloading the HD diagnostic files and burning them to a bootable cd may work. I've also heard I should check the RAM. You guys are the pros and have been so helpful in the past so I figured I would come here and see what I should do. I need this computer...all my school work is on it and I would really like to be able to save the info at the very least. Another note, the HDD access light does blink while all of this is happening. And if my recovery disk (d:) shows up, why doesn't my local disk (c:)?? aren't they both stored on the hard drive? Should I attempt to restore the bios to default settings? I've also heard of people successfully booting linux and copying all of their files off the HD. Is this even an option or is my HD fried? where should I start? Thank you SO much! Sorry it was so long, just trying to be informative.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingc...ive diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thank you for the reply. I have not had a chance to try the diagnostic as I just saw your post and I am currently at work. I will do that as soon as I get home today. Here is what I did last night:

Last night I attempted system startup repair again, after reseating the HDD. it actually finished very quickly (said the same thing as the first time) and upon restart I chose to start vista in normal mode. it actually made it all the way past the windows logo into a black blank screen. I let it sit...then I got this new blue screen:
stop c0000218 {registry failure}
the registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemroot\system32\config\default
or its log or alternate.
it is corrupt, absent, or not writable

collecting data for crash dump...
initializing disk for crash dump...
and it stayed frozen on that screen for about 10-15 min before rebooting itself. I loaded the Vista recovery cd again, and this time it loaded much faster. System recovery actually recognized my Vista this time! partition size was 144231MB. Clicked next and got "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows... I know this is the vista recovery disc. Am I doing something wrong? I clicked on select drivers, and there was my C: Drive, exactly as I left it. It didn't freeze when I clicked it, and I was able to view all of my files. I was pretty excited, hopefully I can at the least recover/backup my files. I clicked in the white area around the vista box and then clicked next so I could access the recovery tools screen. I restarted the computer again, and now I keep getting the registry error posted above. Should I quit while I'm ahead and try to recover the data? How do I do that if I can't boot up? Should I run the memory diagnostic again since it failed earlier? Everytime I run the startup repair it seems to fix more things, should I run that again? I don't want to risk wiping the data on accident. I have not tried re-running the BIOS hdd self test again, but I will when I am home. Thanks again for your help!

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Sorry, Double Post.

Edited by CrackerJack760, 22 June 2010 - 06:55 AM.

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Okay...I'm not sure what all SeaTools does. I downloaded it and it seemed to scan my HDD but I can't move my mouse. Here are the results:

Scanning for devices on nVidia MCP51 SATA...
Detected 1 devices
Device scan complete

Above that, under drive information it says:
Max Native Address: 0
This drive supports security features
SMART Is Supported and ENABLED
SMART has NOT been tripped
DST is supported
Logging Feature Set Is NOT supported
POH 2410 Current Temp 43

Like I said, outside that the mouse cursor is frozen, I am unable to move it. It seems as though my hard drive is readable again, but I keep getting errors telling me no OS files are detected when I run the startup repair. But before I select the startup repair Windows Vista is clearly listed as my OS, when it wasn't before.

Is there a way to fix this? I was going to download and install Linux, and then try to copy all the files from my HDD onto my external HD. Is there a better option?? Like I said, when I view my C: drive through the windows recovery options everything is there. including the WINDOWS file. Not sure why it can't detect my OS. Should I go with the Linux option? and then reinstall vista? What are my options/best option? Thanks again

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I can't comment on your Seatools test output, because you're not saying which exact tool you used.

Not sure why it can't detect my OS

That's because:

the registry cannot load the hive

One of system hives are corrupted, or missing.

Backing up your data through Linux is a good idea, but then as for reinstalling Windows, I'd still test your hard drive first, so you're not wasting your time on reinstalling OS on a bad drive.

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i used the first one - SeaTools for DOS v2.17 (Graphical). Curently downloading Linux now.

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i used the first one - SeaTools for DOS v2.17 (Graphical). Curently downloading Linux now.

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Seatools should give you some word about your hard drive state.
Try to re-run it, when you're done with backing up your data.

Advertisements

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It keeps freezing and not allowing me to use the mouse. And I apologize for the multiple posts. Somethings wrong with my internet explorer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You better create that Linux CD, using another computer and backup your data, fast.

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I am installing Linux now. Is there a program I can use to quickly copy all my files? Or do I literally have to click and drag them all, which will take forever?

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Okay, Linux didnt even start installing. I got a "I/O error - Error reading boot CD" from Linux installation screen. Should I burn another disc? or is this my HD's fault?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What do you mean by "installing"?
I assume, you made that Linux CD bootable and you're booting from it?
Check your steps here: http://www.smartestc...post__p__142119

...and no, I'm not aware of anything else, but just dragging your files.
If you have a big external hard drive, you can eventually copy a whole hard drive content to the external drive and sort your data out later.