Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Crash: No Longer Boots

• Please log in to reply

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I followed those exact instructions. When I put the disc in and booted from it, I got the Ubuntu background, but that error message came up. And I do have a large external HD so I guess I will do that if I can get Linux to work...

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like either bad Ubuntu download, or bad burn.
There are plenty of hits on Google regarding that very error.
Try to read through: http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have tried 3 different burns on 3 different discs. I can load ubuntu on the computer I burned them from, but not my dead computer. I have tried 2 different downloads. I have been reading through other people's same issue but no luck. No one seems to have a fix. Seems to be the working computer burning the disc in a way that my dead computer doesn't like...any ideas?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you have Windows CD, or recovery CD, try those and see if they'll boot. You don't have to start any process, just see, if they'll boot.

On the other hand, you can try to slave the drive in another computer, or use hard drive enclosure to recover your data.

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
the recovery disc boots fine. in order to slave the laptop HD to a desktop pc, Don't I have to buy a special tool? How Much are they and where can I buy one?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Here you go: http://articles.tech...11-5160538.html

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I finally got seatools to run. Backed up everything I needed (I hope) using Puppy Linux instead. Seatools found multiple bad sectors. It is trying to repair them as we speak. Is there any chance of recovering this computer?

What exactly is wrong? Its about 3 years old. Is the hard drive failing? Or did some windows file get deleted? Like I said, Linux allowed me to look through the HD, and was able to access pretty much everything. After seatools, is there anything else I can try to recover the computer and get it to boot? Who does windows give me the "unmountable boot volume" blue screen, but Linux was able to mount the drive just fine? And lastly, if there is no hope of recovering and I have to do a fresh install, do I need to buy a new hard drive? or will this one be fine after a reformat?

Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to try to recover it and make it boot normally again. I feel like I'm missing something small here.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm glad, you're able to recover your data. That's the most important thing :)

Clearly, your hard drive developed some errors (bad sectors).
What to do next?
You'll see, if Seatools will be able to fix those errors, but....
From my experience, bad sectors, once happened and fixed they have a tendency to happen again.
If Seatools will fix your drive and you still want to use it, make sure your backup is always recent.
Personally, I'd buy a new drive. Nowadays, hard drives are very cheap.

Its about 3 years old. Is the hard drive failing?

I had brand new drive once, which failed after 6 weeks :)

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yeah I guess the time frame doesn't really matter. I guess I will buy a new Hard drive...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good luck :)

Advertisements

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Okay the new hard drive is on its way, but I have a few interesting updates. and some new questions. I found my original recovery disk, not the one I downloaded in order to repair windows startup. I used it the same way I had been using the other disk, but this time it found a lot of startup errors, and fixed them all. To my shock and excitement, when I ran windows it actually booted to the login screen. I typed in my password, and my desktop began to attempt to load. Except the background was different, and there was a window titled "Personalized Settings: Setting up personalized settings for: Microsoft Windows Mail 7" and it just hangs there. I left it on for a few hours letting it try to load, it never did but then blue screens again with a new error: "Driver_Power_State_Failure". I will also note that I can CTRL+ALT+DEL from the loading screen and even open the task manager, and see everything that is running. I tried to close the WINMAIL task but it refused to close. I restarted and decided I would try safe mode, and voila, there was my desktop and all. I tried safemode with networking, and was able to connect and download a few cleanup programs to see what they could find. Re attempted normal mode, and got the same error.

I guess its safe to say the hard drive is failing somewhere, right? Also, I decided to run SEATools again...This time it says SMART has been tripped!!! Can you explain what exactly SMART is, and since it was tripped is the HDD now useless?? Why can i boot just fine in safe mode, but not normal mode?? I could really use that computer while I'm waiting for the new HD. I feel like I keep getting closer but from what I've read, after SMART is tripped your screwed.

And finally, if I were to try and wipe this HD and reinstall windows and everything, would I be better off not even trying? Seatools gives me a few erase options but I don't know what to choose. And lastly, when my new HD gets here, how do I go about putting windows on it? The recovery disk has a "Install Vista" option, but won't I need a new product key or something?? Thanks again for all of your help...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T

Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology, or S.M.A.R.T. (sometimes written as SMART), is a monitoring system for computer hard disks to detect and report on various indicators of reliability, in the hope of anticipating failures.

This time it says SMART has been tripped!!!

It definitely means, your drive is failing.
Why you can operate in safe mode?
My guess...in safe mode Windows loads limited number of drivers and files. Hard drive corruption must be preventing other drivers/files from loading/working correctly in normal mode.

The recovery disk has a "Install Vista" option, but won't I need a new product key or something??

Windows product key should be located on a label on yous computer. Replacing just a hard drive, most likely, won't require any new activation.

Edited by Broni, 26 June 2010 - 03:28 PM.

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks. Today I tried to install windows on the broken hard drive just to see what would happen (new hard drive still isn't here) and got yet another error: windows cannot open required file: E:/ Sources\install.wim the file does not exist.... Plus some stuff about restarting and trying again.

So how do I go about installing windows on the new HD? Thanks!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You install new drive, boot from recovery disk and follow on-screen instructions. Easy :)

CrackerJack760

CrackerJack760

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
The recovery disk is what I used to try to install windows on the broken HD. Won't I get the same error about missing installation files?