Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Athlon 64 X2

• Please log in to reply

sharpie44

sharpie44

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Back in 2005 I built my dream computer with the help of a friend who knew a lot more about it than me. Since then it's served me well but it's time for an upgrade and I don't have the money to do a whole new build. I also haven't dune anything with computers since this one was built so I'm out of the loop.

I was wondering if there is a better processor that could fit into my "Athlon 64 X2" chipset.

I'll be replacing the video-card (have a e-GeForce 7600 GT), adding more ram(2 gigs at the moment), and adding a new hard-drive as I get the money. The processor is the big one though.

Thanks

Edited by sharpie44, 21 June 2010 - 11:07 PM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to go!

The only way we can help find another suitable CPU for you would be to tell us the make and model of your Motherboard.

With out it we will be shooting in the dark (with our eyes closed)

Let me know and I will get back to you tomorrow

good luck

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
^I bet it's either am2 or am2+. Most am2+ boards can support AM3 processors, and some AM2 can support AM3 processors as well.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it's a board from 2005 I'll be surprised if it is AM2, considering AM2 wasn't released by AMD until mid 2006.

It's more likely a dual-core Socket 939 processor, for which the upgrade path is non-existent without replacing the board, the memory and the processor.