Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTunes installation problems

• Please log in to reply

dgabler

dgabler

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I had Windows Vista, and everything worked fine with iTunes. I received Windows 7 through my school, and I upgraded my computer. When I tried to start up iTunes it wouldn't work. I did the correct uninstall procedure (from Apple), and then I even used the Windows Install Clean Up. Everytime I attempt to install it, it stops at "Registering iTunes Automation Server".

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Sometimes this can be resolved by doing a stand along installation of Quicktime. That causes iTunes to skip the Quicktime installation part and resolves some errors. Go here and download the version that doesn't mention anything about iTunes. Install, update and then try your iTunes installation again.

You'll also want to disable your antivirus software and all other resident shields during the installation routine.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 23 June 2010 - 06:30 AM.

dgabler

dgabler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yeah, I have already tried that many times and it didn't work.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Just to clarify, you went through the uninstall routine specified by Apple that includes removing iTunes, Bonjour, Quicktime, etc?

If so, there are a couple things you can try. Click on Start then in the Run box type MSCONFIG to bring up the start-up menu. Click on the Services tab and then check the box that says "Hide all Microsoft Services". Then click on Disable All. Restart and then try installing iTunes. If that works, then we know there is something interfering with the installation.

You can also try creating another user account on your PC and running the installation using that user. I have seen that work in the past.

dgabler

dgabler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I created a new user, and that worked. Thank you so much for your help. This website is always so helpful.

Go Pens! :)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

I created a new user, and that worked. Thank you so much for your help. This website is always so helpful.

No problem, glad I could help.

Go Pens! :)

Oh, wait, maybe I'm not glad that I helped. :)

xlaurawrrr

xlaurawrrr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been having problems with my iTunes for the past month, and I was so relieved when I found a different solution to the problem that I hadn't tried. I created another user account and the installation went smoothly, but now iTunes won't work on my other account. I was hoping that the second account would just be temporary, so is there any way that I can make iTunes work on my first account and just delete the second one? Thank you so much!

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Hi xlaurawrrr,

Can you tell me what the problem is with the original account? It doesn't matter which account you use to install the program. It should work across all users.

xlaurawrrr

xlaurawrrr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Nothing happened until I upgraded to iTunes 10, which randomly froze one day. I thought I could simply uninstall and reinstall, but iTunes 10 refused to load. I went to the Apple website and found iTunes 9.2.1, which I wanted to go back to seeing as I had never had any problems with it. The first time I tried to download it, it froze at the "registering iTunes automation server" step. I tried installing again, same thing.

I went to the Apple website and followed their instructions for completely removing and reinstalling iTunes, which I did. That didn't work, so I deleted all of my Temp files and downloaded all of the Windows updates... Still, no such luck.

I created the second user account and the installation went smoothly, but I still can't use iTunes on my main account. I deleted a Spyware removal program I had and tried to uninstall and reinstall yet again, but it still refuses to work on both accounts for some odd reason.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

I created the second user account and the installation went smoothly, but I still can't use iTunes on my main account.

I guess there was a little confusion surrounding my last question. I was asking what specifically happens when you log into your main account and double click on the iTunes icon? Does it give you an error message?