Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logs for malware removal

• Please log in to reply

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts
Hi

Could you please tell me why you can't boot in normal mode? Do get a BSOD (blue screen of death), does your computer hang or keep restarting... ? It's normal you see a new screen for a while were you can choose between Windows and the Recovery console since Combofix added this to fix your computer when something unexpected happened. You can just wait for a few seconds or choose to start windows normally. Does it still refuse boot then?

Run OTL again
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:OTL
    O7 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

:Services

:Reg

:Files

:Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done and post the log it produces in your next reply.

Advertisements

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
i get black screen that says:

We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, start windows normally.

(works) Safe mode
(works) Safe mode with networking
(works) Safe mode with command prompts

(doesn't work) Last known good configuration

(doesn't work) Start normally

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
All processes killed
========== OTL ==========
Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel\ deleted successfully.
========== SERVICES/DRIVERS ==========
========== REGISTRY ==========
========== FILES ==========
========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: Administrator
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 56504 bytes

User: All Users

User: Application Data

User: Default User
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 56504 bytes

User: HP_Owner
->Temp folder emptied: 1859173 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 4078279 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 288379 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 72441189 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 9852 bytes

User: LocalService
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 67 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: NetworkService
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 19569 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\dllcache .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 3432935 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 78.00 mb

[EMPTYFLASH]

User: Administrator

User: All Users

User: Application Data

User: Default User

User: HP_Owner

User: LocalService

User: NetworkService

Total Flash Files Cleaned = 0.00 mb

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.6.1 log created on 07032010_112946

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
on the two i wrote that don't work: it goes to windows load page with progress bar and then restarts. This all started when windows update said it need to restart to finish update. I tried system recovery from several dates saved in June but when it restarts it goes back to the black screen and when i start in safe mode with networking i get error message saying couldn't finish process.

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Firefox saved websites i was on but everything is "magnified" and can't adjust screen resolution, there is NO volume. Pain in the rear, but glad i can access web to get guidance from you.

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts
Hi

I'll help you with this problem too :), but please don't use system restore as this can reinfect your computer. It is normal your desktop looks different in safe mode, no need to worry. Now, your computer is probably restarting because of a BSOD. Please follow these instructions so we can find what is causing this problem:

Step one

In safe mode do this:
1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System.
2. Go to Advanced.
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure uncheck the box next to Automatically restart .

Now your computer won't keep restarting but show you the BSOD instead. Please post the description, the Windows STOP message and the filename in your next reply (it's possible they aren't all displayed, just post what you can):

Posted Image

Step two

Go to C:\Windows\Minidump\, select all the .dmp files and zip them, this is how:

Right-click the selected files, point to Send To and then click Compressed (zipped) Folder.
A new compressed folder is created, right-click the folder, click Rename and then type Dump.zip . Now place this folder on your desktop and either upload it to
  • The forum (if the file isn't too large): see THIS topic for more information.
  • Or upload it to Megaupload or Rapidshare and post the download link in your next reply (only when the file is too large to upload it to the forum).
- Maser00

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
When I went to uncheck auto restart it told me that Alerter needed to be started. I followed the directions but got an error saying cannot start in safe mode.

I still unchecked auto restart and then restarted.
The error message was:

stop: 0x0000007E (0xBA2D8756,0XBA4C3430,0XBA4C312C)

I attached dump.zip file requested also.

Thank you

Attached Files

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
The BSOD wasn't talking about hardware, but kept saying memory issues.

It didn't give a file name or "main description". Just said to make sure had enough memory and the same sentence about BIOS memory in your example. I'm gonna do it again and write down what it says.

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
where your example says hardware mine says:

Check to make sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in stop message, disable the driver or check with manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts
Hi

Your issue is probably caused by an incomplete update, something must of disturbed the update.
Please go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following (if present):

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Try not to use the computer meanwhile. Tell me if this fixed the problem.

Advertisements

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I tried that and got 2 error messages:

"The system cannot find the file specified" with only ok to choose, then the message "service pack 3 was not uninstalled" and an ok button.

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts
Try this (from Microsoft):

1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. When the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Removal Wizard starts, click Next.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP3.

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Got the same error messages using run menu. I tried downloading and installing service pack 3 again. restarted. same error messages on BSOD. Then tried uninstalling what i just installed and still error messages cannot find file.

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts
Hi

Try method 4 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249. This is more complicated but it should fix it. Be sure to follow the instructions correctly! If you have questions you can always post them and I'll help you :)

ghost_sniper_777

ghost_sniper_777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
The service pack 3 no longer has remove button on it, but when i select "show updates" box like it says i see xp security updates that have date it all started acting goofy, should i remove them?

Attached Thumbnails

• no_remove_option_1.JPG