Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp repair trouble

• Please log in to reply

m adamek

m adamek

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Geeks to go,

i have been having trouble with my windows xp operating system.
it started with the log-in/log-on problem where after log-in the desktop wallpaper would flash briefly then it would immediatley log-out back to the sign in page. i found a few relevant forums on here, tried logging in in safe mode, no difference etc, ran the windows recovery thing and did the chkdsk which said it repaired one or more files so tried to reboot with no improvement.
i then tried to repair windows so booted using the dell recovery cd and followed the instructions on the forum here.

looked like it was going ok as it was loading the set-up files then the message, cannot set required windows xp configuration information which indicates internal set-up error.
now when i reboot it starts to load windows, then it changes to a blue set-up screen which restarts the repair but then changes to a black blank screen with a mouse cursor that moves with the mouse and that is all.

not sure what to do now, would prefer not to have to re-format as there are files id rather not lose.

im sure its not a hardware problem
system details are
dell dimension 4700
2.8ghz
intel pentium 4
1gb ram
its about 5 years old i think

thanks
mike

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
m adamek,

Have you tried doing the repair again to see if it's successful the second time? If not I would suggest running some hardware diagnostics on your computer, namely the hard drive and the memory. A useful tool that you can burn to a CD is Ultimate Boot CD which features a number of useful tools. Download the ISO, burn the ISO to a disk, have your computer boot to the disk you just created, and then run the appropriate diagnostic tools. If you're unfamiliar with how to do this, please reply back and let us know. Another individual or myself will reply with some instructions to help you move forward, unless somebody else has a better solution to your particular issue.

Regards,
3quilibrium

m adamek

m adamek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi 3quilibrium,

thanks for your reply

yeah ive tried the repair a number of times but the same thing keeps happening, just the same error message comes up.

ive burnt the cd, thought i'd be able to work out how to diagnose everything but not really sure what im doing with it. is there a guide or advice on what to select to diagnose my hardware??

thanks
mike

m adamek

m adamek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ive worked it out now!

yeah checked all the hardware in the pc and all passed/no problems.

any ideas on what else to try or shall i bite the bullet and re install windows?

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
m adamek,

According to this article Error Message: Setup Cannot Set the Required Windows XP Configuration Information this error message occurs due to an incompatibility issue with a piece of hardware. Do you have any devices installed into your expansion slots that were not native to your system when you first purchased it? If so, please remove these devices and then try a repair again. Also, try re-seating all of your connections such as RAM, hard drive cables, etc. just to make sure everything is nice and snug.
Also, for the Dimension 4700, there is an OS install mode within the BIOS. Please make sure this option is turned on. When booting the computer, tap the F2 key to access BIOS settings and look for the OS Install mode option and make sure it's ON, then see if your repair doesn't make any further progress after that point.