Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

strong encryption s/w for txt and some doc files

• Please log in to reply

loki16

loki16

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I'm after some decent s/w to encrypt txt (and a few doc) files.

Files are located in lots of different folders, so an encrypted part of my hard disk won't work. would be extra handy if i could load them on a thumb drive without having to worry about losing stuff too mch.

any suggestions?

thx

(using W7)

Edited by loki16, 22 June 2010 - 06:16 AM.

Advertisements

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
anyone, anyone...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
7-zip

http://www.7-zip.org/

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello loki16

I do have a solution for you for .doc and this is called 7-Zip which can be found here Please download this and install on your computer.

The next step is to create a folder on your desktop (Right click on your desktop - goto new - Folder) put all your documents in this folder. Do not make a zip file as of yet :)

Next right click this folder - goto 7-Zip and add to archive. Keep everything as default and only change the following as below.
  • Archive format should be zip
  • goto Encryption and enter a password of your choice and make sure its a combination of letters and number and make sure its not easy for one to guess.
  • Tick encrypt file names and click ok
This will provide you with a secure archive and will ask you for a password prior to opening the archive.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 30 June 2010 - 05:11 AM.

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
thanks for your reply wizzy2k5 and SpywareDr.

i've done as suggested (see screenshot) but

1. i don't see an option for "Tick encrypt file names and click ok"
2. after i save i can go right back and reopen this folder and it does not ask for a password.

can you see what i'm missing?

thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7zip.gif

Edited by loki16, 31 August 2010 - 08:44 AM.