Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Winword

• Please log in to reply

claudiathompson

claudiathompson

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
System: Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Hewlett-Packard Pavillion
AMD Athlon™XP 2800
2.08 GHz, 448 MB of RAM

I did a complete HP System Recovery on my computer the other day, not realizing that I should have just done a normal System Restore. Fortunately, it didnt hurt my computer much, it seems but I am having to re-install alot of programs. I had the Home Essentials 97 program installed on my computer for a long time, and Winword was something that I used on a daily basis.

I now have the Microsoft Works installed and its ok but I dont like the Word Processor as compared to my old Winword Program and so all I want to do is re-install Winword, that same version from Home Essentials.

Someone else a long time ago had installed this Home Essetials 97 disc on my computer so I dont have a clue what to do.

Product ID that comes up when installing it is: 53691-465-4848663-55435

So anyway, I open and insert the Home Essentials Disc that has Winword on it, and Click the Winword button.

It says the destination folder is this folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office

I choose and click the "Typical" installation. Then I click and choose "Typical Word Components" and "Web Page Authoring Html".

Then I look down and it says "Folder for currently Selected Options": C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Web Page Templates

So then I wait awhile and nothing happened.

Then I go to my Program Files/Microsoft Office Folder and look. I see a Winword icon and click it and something pops up that says: "The application muct be installed to run. Please run Setup from the location where you originally installed the application."
Then I click directly on my "Microsoft Office" folder to see what I can find in there to click on.
I cant find anything, so I click on the "Setup" folder. I see a thing called ACME-WORD (MS Setup) so I click on that.

It says "Starting 97Word Set up" on one of the pop up things... but on another one it says,

"Set up cannot access the required initialization file" then it has this big long folder address...
'C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE\SETUP\ACMESETUP.EXE

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Insert the 'Home Essentials 97' CD and let it start on it's own. It should ask you if you want to install it. You do not click on the "Winword" button, that's wrong. If the CD does not start automatically, open the CD contents in Explorer and double-click 'Setup.exe' or 'Setup.msi' or a file with a similar name in the root of the CD.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 22 June 2010 - 02:19 PM.

claudiathompson

claudiathompson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Phillip,

what do you mean by this?

"open the CD contents in Explorer"