Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cleaned out viruses now moving really slow locking up and pages turnin

• Please log in to reply

jojo831

jojo831

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
:) Cleaned out several viruses and still having a prolem with computer running slow and pages turning white and locking up. Below u will find the link to every thing we done as far as the viruses go.. Thanks for any kind of help I can get.. :)

http://www.geekstogo...i....html&st=30

Edited by jojo831, 22 June 2010 - 12:04 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Rshaffer61. we have to stop meeting like this! You beat me to it again.

jojo831 Do the chkdsk from Rshaffer61 and the follow with ATF and Auslogics defrag.

I would 1st look at adding more memory. You only have 256mb. XP now likes to run on at least 1gb.

Here are 2 locations you can check out.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Go to HERE and run the 4All online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.
=================================================================

I don't recall whether Thunderbird1988 had you clean temp files and run defrag on the drive so I will give you the instructions to do it again.
=================================================================
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :)

jojo831

jojo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
:) Did the scan from your first post nothing changed. :) So now gonna go do the other things thqat u have posted. The memory thing has been an issue from the first day I got the computer back in 2004... :) But before this last virus it was running better than it is now and I do not have a lot of junk in it.. I keep most of my pics on a flash drive so I can use them as I want them.. Same with docs that I need to keep.. Okay will get back to u after I finish everything but adding memory. :) TY

jojo831

jojo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
:) Did the scan from your first post nothing changed. :) So now gonna go do the other things thqat u have posted. The memory thing has been an issue from the first day I got the computer back in 2004... :) But before this last virus it was running better than it is now and I do not have a lot of junk in it.. I keep most of my pics on a flash drive so I can use them as I want them.. Same with docs that I need to keep.. Okay will get back to u after I finish everything but adding memory. :) TY

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By scan I hope you meant the chkdsk /r
The next steps would be the ATF and Defrag steps 123Runner suggested. Let us know if the speed picks up after they are done.

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 June 2010 - 12:31 PM.

jojo831

jojo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
:) Yes that is what I ment. I did the chkdsk and nothing changed and I have done the things from 123, it is moving alittle faster than before and the pages turning white have stopped as far as I can tell. I know that I am not going to get awhole lot of speed because of the memory thing but this is still slower than before the viruses.... :) Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets take a look at the hard drive and see what you have.

Go to
1: Start
2: My Computer
3: Right Click on "C" drive
4: Click on Properties
5: In this field it will tell you total drive space and also free space

Please include results in your next reply

jojo831

jojo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
:) This is what is under the general tab.

Type: Local Disk
File system: NTFS

USED SPACE 6,417,010,688 BYETS 5.97GB

FREE SPACE 29,782,446,080 BYETS 27.7GB

CAPACITY 36,199,456,768 BYETS 33.7GB

And there is a check in the box that says allow indexing service to index this disk for fast file searching

:) Thanks again

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uncheck the box for indexing and let us know if things speed up then. If not then try the below steps.
ok I need you to do the following and let me know what it says

For HD only

Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

jojo831

jojo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
:) OK I UNCHECKED THE BOX FOR INDEXING AND GOT AN ERROR PROGRAM FILES ADOBE READER 9.0 COULD NOT BE MOVED SO I HAD TO HIT IGNORE ALL, DIDN'T MAKE ANY THING ANY BETTER REALLY MADE IT WORSE. SO I CHECKED IT AGAIN SETTING IT BACK TO WHERE IT WAS..

AS FAR AS THE CONTROLLERS GO...I FOLLOWED UR DIRECTION AND NOTHING CHANGED. SO THI IS WHAT IS THERE
PRIMARY
DEVICE 0
DEVICE TYPE IS GREYED OUT
TRANSFER MODE DMA IF AVAILABLE
CURRENT TRANSFER MODE ULTRA DMA MODE2

DEVICE 1
DEVICE TYPE AUTO DETECTION
SURRENT TRANSFER MODE NOT APPLICABLE

SECONDARY
DEVICE 0
DEVICE TYPE GREYED OUT
CURRENT TRANSFER MODE ULTRA DMA MODE 2

DEVICE 1
DEVICE TYPE GREYED OUT
CURRENT TRANSFER MODE PIO MODE

AND THE WHITE PAGES ARE BACK.. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we need to look at system files to make sure there are no corrupted ones. To do this follow the next steps.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

jojo831

jojo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
:) Ok after spending the week end looking for the Dell CD which I never found. I ran the sfc this morning.. Didn't need the disk it ran fine. It did just what u said it would do. It ran and I guess didn't find anything there so it just quit when it was done. And I did not get any messages..Spent most of this afternoon going from page to page seeing if there was any difference If there is I could not tell, still slow still giving me the white page. :) :) Thank you!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets check the HD itself and make sure there is no problem with it.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions