Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Bootup BSOD

• Please log in to reply

llamas612

llamas612

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just recently installed Windows XP on a laptop. Right now, when i boot to Windows XP, it goes straight to a BSOD right after the "Windows logo" loading appears. I think the stop code is:

0x0000007B ( 0xf7c1a528 , 0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

One important thing to note is that my CDROM is broken. Because of that, I took my hardrive out of my laptop (toshiba satellite m45), and put it into a different laptop (thinkpad t41), installed XP and then put it back into the original laptop. I think WinXP will boot if i put it back into the Thinkpad but i'm not sure.

I think the issue has to do with the drivers XP is trying to load at boot. If it makes any difference, i'm dual booting with Ubuntu. Ubuntu works fine so i can access the partition on the hard drive that has Windows XP on it if i need to edit any files.

Thanks in advance

Edited by llamas612, 23 June 2010 - 10:19 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It more than likely, in fact 99% certain was caused by installing XP on the hard drive in the other computer.
If Ubuntu was also installed in the same hard drive in the other computer, was that done at the same time OR was Ubuntu already on the drive.
Have you used the GRUB boot loader for the dual boot or one of the other dual boot systems.
The answer I think is to do what YOU suggest WILL IT BOOT WHEN BACK IN THE laptop on which it was loaded.
You will of course know that 7B is normally inaccessible boot volume.
It is no use me suggesting anything until we know if XP loads in the Thinkpad. Has the Toshiba got a boot to USB (flash drive)

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 June 2010 - 02:50 PM.

Pcs365

Pcs365

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Most possible causes for 0x0000007B ( 0xf7c1a528 , 0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000) are:

Boot-Sector Viruses, Device Driver Issues, Hardware Issues
OR
Other potential causes of a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message include:

* The boot volume is corrupted and cannot be initiated by Windows XP. If the file system is corrupted and if Windows XP cannot initiate the boot volume during the startup process, either move the drive to another computer that is running Windows XP and run the chkdsk command on that drive or try to create a parallel installation of Windows XP on the drive (in a separate folder). The Windows XP Setup program checks the integrity of the volume before it copies files, and it may fix some problems in the process.
* You are installing Windows XP on a mirrored boot partition that was created by Microsoft Windows NT 4.0. Windows XP does not support Windows NT 4.0 Ftdisk volume sets. If you are running Microsoft Windows 2000, you must convert all Ftdisk volume sets to dynamic volumes before you upgrade to Windows XP. If you are running Windows NT 4.0, break any mirrors and back up all the data on the stripe, the RAID5, or the extended volume sets before you upgrade to Windows XP. Ftdisk sets might not be accessible after the upgrade.

If your sure that the error occurred due to the driver's on your computer then follow these step's

You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message in the following scenarios:

* A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is not configured to start during the startup process.
* A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is corrupted.
* Information in the Windows XP registry (information related to how the device drivers load during startup) is corrupted.

Windows XP requires a miniport driver to communicate with the hard disk controller that is used to start your computer. If Windows XP does not supply a device driver for your controller or if Windows XP is using a corrupted or incompatible driver, you must replace the driver with a valid copy that is compatible with your controller and Windows XP.

During the first phase of the Windows XP installation, Setup displays the following message at the bottom of the screen:
Press F6 if you have to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver.
Press F6 and then follow the instructions to install a mass-storage device driver from your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). For additional information about using F6 to load an OEM device driver to support, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

To determine if your hard disk controller is compatible with Windows XP and to obtain information about drivers that are included on the Windows XP CD-ROM or that are available for download, see the latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). For additional information about the latest Windows XP HCL, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

If your hard disk controller is not listed on the HCL, contact the manufacturer of your computer, system board, or hard disk controller for information about the availability of a driver. Microsoft does not guarantee that a resolution is available for non-HCL equipment. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

If the System hive in the Windows XP registry is corrupted, Windows XP may not be able to load the miniport device driver that the boot controller requires. To resolve this issue, restore a registry backup. For additional information about restoring a registry backup, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Hardware Issues
You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message if there is a resource conflict between the boot controller and another controller or between SCSI devices. You may also receive this Stop error message if drive translation is not being performed or if drive translation was changed. To troubleshoot this issue:

1. If an IRQ or I/O port address conflict exists between the boot controller and another controller, Windows XP either stops responding (hangs) or displays a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message. If you recently added new hardware, remove the new hardware or reconfigure it so that it does not conflict with the resources of any other installed controllers.
2. If you are using a SCSI hard disk, check the SCSI chain for correct termination. Remove any unused SCSI devices or make sure that each SCSI ID is unique.
3. Make sure that drive translation is turned on (if it is required) and that it has not been changed. For example, if you recently switched controllers, this issue may occur. For additional information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Other Issues
Other potential causes of a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message include:

* The boot volume is corrupted and cannot be initiated by Windows XP. If the file system is corrupted and if Windows XP cannot initiate the boot volume during the startup process, either move the drive to another computer that is running Windows XP and run the chkdsk command on that drive or try to create a parallel installation of Windows XP on the drive (in a separate folder). The Windows XP Setup program checks the integrity of the volume before it copies files, and it may fix some problems in the process.
* You are installing Windows XP on a mirrored boot partition that was created by Microsoft Windows NT 4.0. Windows XP does not support Windows NT 4.0 Ftdisk volume sets. If you are running Microsoft Windows 2000, you must convert all Ftdisk volume sets to dynamic volumes before you upgrade to Windows XP. If you are running Windows NT 4.0, break any mirrors and back up all the data on the stripe, the RAID5, or the extended volume sets before you upgrade to Windows XP. Ftdisk sets might not be accessible after the upgrade.

General Troubleshooting
If none of the issues that have been described in this article apply to you, use the following general troubleshooting steps:

1. If you receive one of these error messages while you are installing Windows XP, update the computer BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers for your hard disk controller (from the manufacturer of your computer, system board, or hard disk controller), or do both. For information about how to update your computer's BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers, contact your computer manufacturer. For additional information about the availability of drivers, see the Device Driver Issues section in this article.

Use the Last Known Good Configuration feature. This may resolve the problem if you recently installed an incompatible device driver for your boot controller. For additional information about using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Use the Repair option with Windows XP Setup. For additional information about repairing Windows XP by using the Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Restore a registry backup. For additional information about restoring a registry backup, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

llamas612

llamas612

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, it definitely was that driver issue. I just ended up installing Windows XP via a PXE install(no CDROM drive needed) on my main laptop (the toshiba), and then installed Ubuntu on top of that. Now my computer boots into GRUB and i can choose what OS i want.

Thanks for the responses.