Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to transfer photos from mobile to pc?

• Please log in to reply

struggling artist

struggling artist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

I want to transfer photos from my phone - samsung SGH-E530 to my pc. I have bought a usb connector but don't have software. When I go to Samsung and try to open their "PC Studio 3" image management software, after downloading it, I get a window on screen saying - "The publisher could not be verified. This file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher. You should only run software from publishers you trust" Is it safe to run it?

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Some software generate that warning. As long as you know the source of the file it should be ok to continue the install. If in doubt, download the file to your Desktop and scan it with an anti-virus program.

Depending on your carrier for the cellphone, you might be able to "email" or upload the images to their online User's album section. T-Mobile has this and it's in the phone directory for uploading images directly from the phone to the album. You must already have set up your cellphone account online. Then you can log in and download all images to your computer. Easier for me than buying the USB cable for $50.

I also emailed all images to myself and they arrived on my computer by email which beat the online way. Check online or call the local store for help with it.

Edited by AstraNut, 23 June 2010 - 11:52 AM.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hi astranut. I only have a pay as you go mobile - so no account. But will try and scan it on my desktop - didn't realise I could do that, so thanks.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
You're welcome. Yeh, no account makes it tough with no email service or online account that can be set up. I forget what programs XP has, but there should be one that will capture your cellphone once you plug-in the USB cable. Double-check that there isn't a Connectivity setting you have to change within the cellphone. Mine I have to select the USB cable or BlueTooth, etc.. It's in my menu, but they sure didn't make it easy to find. :)

Will see if I can track down an online PDF User's Manual for you phone and see what it says.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
OK. If you need a more readable manual: SGH-E530

I just put in a fake email at yahoo.com. Opens in Adobe 9 OK.

You can sent multimedia messages (p19)? If so, you can email yourself all those images. :) See p. 50.

What service is your phone with?

Edited by AstraNut, 23 June 2010 - 04:11 PM.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hi, my phone is with Tesco mobile - very cheap, very basic service, so don't think it's possible to email!! I ran Samsung PC Studio 3 - but nothing on there allows me to actually upload files. Just checked on my phone - only seems to be a menu for Bluetooth - doesn't give an option for usb connectivity. Oh dear. Maybe it won't work with usb? I'm not a very techy person so not sure what next....I have emailed Samsung, but not got any reply yet! Thanks for all your help.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hi again, had a reply from Samsung who told me to download software and drivers from their site, making sure phone not connected at the time and that bluetooth is switched off. Did that. But having problems -

When I connect the phone with the usb lead the "Found New Hardware Wizard comes up and then says - "The Hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software".

Also, when I try to run the USB Driver installation a window comes up saying - "The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows XP. Continuing to install this software may impair or destabilise your system, either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommend you stop this installation now and contact the software vendor for software that passes Windows Logo testing."

I have emailed Samsung back......

AArrrgh!

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Ignore the message about the software not passing Windows Logo testing. Micro$oft is always trying to scare people. I just continue on with those installations.

Samsung should have their software instructions worded to ignore any warnings like that. You could right-click on the install file and set its Properties on the Compatibility tab, but I believe it should work just fine in XP. If you have a 64-bit machine, that also should present no problem. Mine has two program folders for the system. One for 64-bit apps and the other for 32-bit. Never have a problem. I run Vista so I always have to be sure to Run as Administrator when I install anything.

Be really interested in knowing Samsung's solution. That looks like a great phone.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hi, well Samsung said to uninstall everything I had downloaded from their site except the Samsung PC Studio PIMS/ File Manager. I did that. I have connected my phone again and I still get the message - 'The Hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software'. This is driving me crazy! I have contacted Tesco who supply the Pay as you Go service I use. They said it should work with that tarrif. They suggested cleaning the gold connections in the phone, which I have done. And resetting the settings, which I have done. It still does not work. HELP!!! have emailed Samsung AGAIN......

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I don't think your phone can do any transfer by USB.
I have looked at the entire phone manual and the only reference for transferring photos is with bluetooth, email, and mms.
I find no reference to using USB anywhere in that manual.

The PC Studio 3 manual does reference USB, bluetooth, infrared, or serial.

The PC can be connected to the Phone using four different connection types: USB, Bluetooth,
Infrared or Serial. The connection type supported may vary depending on the Phone model,
and can be checked in the manual provided with your Phone.

There is a reference in the PC studio software about possibly upgrading the phones software for some things, but I do not know if this is it.

For connection via USB, the USB driver for the Phone should be installed on the PC in advance.

This is on page 12 of the software user guide.
Phone Driver

PC Studio 3 User Guide

Advertisements

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hi 123runner, thanks for doing all that. I got a reply from Samsung with a a whole load of things to do but I started following the advice as to how to get the photos off my phone starting with - "Select settings, phone settings, USB/PC connection settings, this should be set to PCStudio/modem. (Please note the location of these settings may vary slightly dependent on your handset)"

However, when I go to Setting >phone settings> the only options I have are - Language, Short cut or Extra settings. I cannot find anywhere that gives me the options of USB/PC Connection settings. I think my phone may not have this option, like you say. How frustrating! ??? Surely, given I have now messaged them several times about this and given my phone details every time - ie. SGH-E530 - Samsung would know that this phone cannot work with a USB cable??? It seems like I have wasted days trying to find out how to use the USB cable I bought only to now find that I probably can't use it. Not very happy with Samsung :) But thanks to all geeks to go for very helpful replies, as always!!!

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I know this doesn't help, but I had a Nokia phone with T-Mobile and to use the USB cable required the download and installation of a program T-Mobile had on their site.

I now have a Pantech with AT&T which doesn't work with my Bluetooth so fo figure. Think this is all planned in advance. :)

Have you downloaded and installed the program recommended? Maybe this makes changes to the Options available once installed. I would really like to see you get this to work and I know how frustrating it is not to get anywhere.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I did not find anywhere in your phone manual that referenced a USB.

I wonder if you try and update the phone hardware/software if you will then get that option.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
thanks for your support guys, I will have a look at whether there's a way to update my phone soft/hardware. I did download their pc studio software (which is what they said i needed) but I can't do anything with it cos my computer isn't recognising my phone! Pretty busy tomorrow, but I will have a look when I can at any other options!

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Since you have no USB or Bluetooth option at this time, the carrier should set something up so the software can be downloaded via the cellphone service. Might look and see if their is a USB driver for that phone as Windows usually asks when you plug in new hardware.