Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window XP Freezing

• Please log in to reply

ozzymyster

ozzymyster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Burned copy, dont have the originals as this used to be my work laptop

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that answers why we are having so many issues. Burned OS disks very rarely work as they usually will be missing key files some place.
You need to borrow a Genuine OS disk from someone to do this. Does your system have the little sticker with the reg number and original OS version on it?

ozzymyster

ozzymyster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
it has the sticker but its for vista, the laptop must of had vista originally and the IT company who used to look after our laptops must of reverted it to XP.

Will see if i can get a genuine copy of XP and start again so

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep cause you are going to have to have a authentic reg key which will only come with a genuine Microsoft installation disk.
You might try to contact Microsoft directly and see if they may be able to sell you a copy of XP or at least Vista at a reduced price.
The other option is to contact the manufacturer of the system and see if they can sell you the recovery cd which would include the Vista.

ozzymyster

ozzymyster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Only thing is it was freezing before I put the burned copy (1st post)on so have a gut feeling now that its hardware related.

Will let you know how i get on

thanks
Brian

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive. Western Digital in your case.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

ozzymyster

ozzymyster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Downloaded the windows version and the extended test passed and also downloaded the dos version, created a bootable cd and the extended test also passed, no errors found, code 0000

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I don't know what else it could be at this point since we have checked the hd, memory, ran chkdsk and we know sfc found nothing.
I would suggest purchasing a Genuine XP Installation disk and reloading the system fresh. Backup all needed data, pictures, videos, movies and documents.

ozzymyster

ozzymyster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
yeah its a head scratcher alright. Never had this much hassle in the past with a laptop or desktop. Will let you know what the outcome is. Would of thought all the recommendations you made would of showed up something. Thanks for all your help and guidance. Will let you know the final outcome. Hopefully it will help someone else out who might have a similar poblem

Thanks
Brian

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and I look forward to assisting you further with this issue. I will continue to monitor this topic for your results.

Advertisements

ozzymyster

ozzymyster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi rshaffer61

I said id update when i had a bit of news. I noticed after i stopped posting that the laptop was only freezing when it was charging.

I had an after market charger but was using it for over a year without issue so never really suspected that it could be causing any problems.

Anyway swapped my charger with my friend who has the same laptop. Mine didnt freeze when it was charging but neither did his when he was using my after market charger.

Long story short we tried every combination of swapping chargers, my battery and charger in his laptop etc etc but couldnt replicate the problem.

Also mine seemed to be stable with the Tosibha issued charger. It did freeze once or twice over the course of a few days but not every 10 mins like it was doing.

In the end I purchased a genuine replacement charger on ebay as it was cheap (13 euro) and I can report that all is good since. The after market charger for whatever reason was causing mine to freeze but not my friends. I'm happy with the cheap fix

Thanks for all your help. Maybe this may be of help to others

Brian

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and I am very happy you didn't have to spend a lot of money to resolve the issue. I am sure your topic will be of great help to others in the future. With that being said:
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)