Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply not working (New PC Build)

• Please log in to reply

Prominia

Prominia

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
This is my first time building a computer and I am having trouble with it powering on. Because it wont. I have a HX750 Corsair power supply with a gigabyte Motherboard. I returned the last power supply because it would not work when I tested it by itself. When I got the replacement i tested it outside with the new power supply which worked. I then proceded to connect everything and now I am not getting any power again. Is it possible that something is shorting out the power supply?

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

My first thoughts would be that you have improperly hooked up the Front case wires to the MOBO.

Also you say you tested the Power-supply "by it self"

You need to have something plugged in "like a case fan." The power-supply can't be hooked up without a device plugged into it, otherwise you run the risk of frying the power-supply.

If you can give me makes and models of the parts you are using then I maybe able to help you further.

Also you may have to:

1-Remove the motherboard from the case and place on a piece of cardboard
2-Install only the cpu with heat sink and fan, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, psu, video card, case switch and case speaker
3-Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
4-Repeat the above and power on
5-If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

That will help you determine if you had a case short.

Good luck, get back to me and I will assist you further.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
When i tested the power supply I watched the video on the Corsair website which uses a paper clip and a fan and that worked well. I think i have everything properly plugged in I read the motherboard and case manuals.
The Makes and Models are:
Intel Core i7-920
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50

I shall try steps 1-5 tommorow thank you for the help. It is possible that I have plugged something from the case into the motherboard wrong I will double check. Also I did put the motherboard on the standoffs. There are also some lights that go on when plugged in and powered on.

Thanks for the help

Edited by Prominia, 23 June 2010 - 10:31 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

A quick test to make sure you have the right power lead to the case switch and will tell if the case switch is faulty.
On the Mobo front panel header remove all except the speaker connection.
Use a small bladed screwdriver to briefly short out the 2 power on pins.
If computer starts you should hear a beep or your mobo may have some display lights instead.