Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder and possible other registry issues plz help

• Please log in to reply

angelofsins21

angelofsins21

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So my girlfriends computer is an acer desktop with windows vista 32bit

I usualy am pretty good at fixing computer issues or being able to find fixes online or whatever but this one has me at a loss.

i have read about other people having these problems but i couldnt find a working solution. Her computer wont allow her to rename any folder, when she trys to rename it it automatically goes back to the default (New Folder) with out giving any sort of error message. she also cant rename files or move files or folders. i assumed that this was a registry issue and tried downloading some fixes i found online for similar issues but that had no luck.

now she has also noticed that she cant open adobe reader or save files in word (im guessing it has effected more then that but thats what she has tried so far) i also noticed a error pop up in the taskbar when loading Chrome but that didnt seem to effect anything. because of adobe reader not working she tried uninstalling it and got this error message
"error 1606. could not access network location %APPDATA%\" i looked into that and found an auto fix by microsoft but she told me that it gave her an error or something (sorry no more details on that).

because her computer is usually very slow anyway i suggested that she reinstall vista or let me put 7 on it but she is afraid to do that because she has programs and files she doesnt want to lose. also i wouldnt be able to back any personal files to an external hard drive because of it not letting me copy anything.

so does anyone have any idea as to what this could be or better yet a way to fix it? im guessing it had to do with the registry still but it could be some virus or a possetion issue (she is on an administer acount)

... one last thing she mentioned that she found a folder in her documents called "_hiddenPbk" i dont know if she tried to remove it or not but from what i saw online its a system file or something in the wrong location and it cant be deleted

Thank you for your time and support

Advertisements

Mr. Kiningham

Mr. Kiningham

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Personally, I'd use a Linux LiveCD to boot the computer, mount her hard drive, and copy the files to your external drive that way. Then I'd reinstall Windows or upgrade to 7. Does she have CDs for the programs that aren't (legally) downloadable?

Good luck.

angelofsins21

angelofsins21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah im guessing thats the only option atm...

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
You could try running through the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system. If that doesn't solve your problem, post a new thread in the Removal Help for Virus, Malware, Rootkit, Search Redirect Forum.

Never hurts to try. :)

Oh, and a big G2G welcome to both of you.

:)

angelofsins21

angelofsins21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Already ill have her try thank thanks for your input. does this sound like the type of thing that malware would cause